Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 120 or 240 for my DC?

Yes enjoy the collector and look at it this way if you don't use the unoccupied 240 volt circuit you get to buy another piece of equipment for the shop.

120...240 ....potato.. or...potatoe seems to be accurate to me.... I think that might change though up around 3 horsepower at that point it becomes potatoes.

Just for fun and to shed some entertainment this is rather funny.....

http://www.truveo.com/blender-motor-.../id/3294010029
    Ever wonder what happens if you get scared 1/2 to death twice ?

I LOVE 240V!!! (aka 220V, 230V) I spent respectable $bucks$ getting a 240V, 100A sub panel to my shop! I have three dedicated 240V circuits. (1) 3hp DC. (2) 5hp RPC. (3) Multiple shop wall outlets (I can use only one 240V machine at a time) I use 240V for any motor that is convertible! This frees up the one dinky 15A 120V circuit within the walls of my shop. On this circuit are wall outlets, ceiling lights, garage door opener, AND a dusk to dawn yard light. I want PRIMO voltage for my *single-phase* machines. They Deserve It!! 240V!!! I've got it and I Flaunt IT!!! ;-p
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Anything I can run on 240 volts, gets 240 volts.
    It is easier on the motor to start it on 240 volts.
    As far as your 1 1/2 HP blower is concerned, it probably won't make a damn bit of difference whether it is fed 120 or 240 volts, it is a blower after all. But mine get 240. (Both of them)
    I don't really care about wire size, either. I bought a 500' roll of 12/2 w/ ground, metal clad for my shop. And a 100' roll of 10 2 w/ground for my heavy circuits, metal clad. Because where I live they require metal clad in a garage.
    I used them in a garage shop that is 20' x 20'. None left over.
    Balance your load, and use 240 volts where you can for your motors.
    It'll make you smile.