Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need ideas for saw storage

Need ideas for saw storage

Hi! just moved all my hand tools into my hubby's power shop due to re-assigning basement space. I just counted all my saws, and came up with ten panel saws, 6 back saws, a couple of gent's saws and a dozuki. Oh, forgot the big mitre box saw and the little flush cutter. Now I have no idea where they were lurking, but I just kept finding them everywhere. I would like to finally hang em up so I could look at em and they would be easier to grab and use. I saw an article in FWW Tools and Shops annual issue 2006-2007, on the wall behind Tom Lie-Nielsen on page 87 looks like something that would be cool for my back saws at least. Looks like an open rectangular box around 6'' wide by 3' tall, maybe a 1x5 or 6' boards dovetailed, with the saws placed in a looks like 45 deg angle kerf. Any other ideas? After I get the saws hung, then it's time to work on plane storage. Thanks!

wow, cant really help you, but 10 panel saws ?? I wouldn't begin to know where to put them as my shop ends up being the garage of wherever I end up after the Army makes me move every other year, or rather half of the garage...the other half is storage...
    That which does not kill you will likely raise your insurance premiums.

I love antiques, I love tools, I love antique tools, when I see a really slick handle on a saw I just gotta have it. I have some that are really old, just lookers, not users, but I'd like to get em up where I CAN look at em. Don't ask how many planes I have.....again some are "just gotta haves" and some are users, like my type 11 Stanley 4 1/2 retrofitted with a Hock blade and chipbreaker. My Dad didn't believe me when I told him I could read thru a shaving, till I showed him one! Right now they are all piled up on the wooden drill press platform, the planes are all in wooden tool totes all piled up-carefully. Doing a major refit of the basement, so that's temporary storage for now.

Blog Entries
    This month's Woodsmith has a sweet saw till project. Sorry, this is the best partial pic I could find on short notice. It uses open finger-tenon joinery and even though I only have a few saws I am thinking of making one just because it looks so good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Saw Till

I've always been a fan of the saw tills but you can't really display your saws that way. For smaller saws and back saws hanging on a piece of wood shaped to fit inside the handle with a turn buckle is a good way to put them up you can build a nice wall mounted rack system for them to hang on as well it's really only limited by your imagination.

A few things I think would be important, and this is coming from someone with very little practical application of knowledge, you want to keep the teeth from contacting hard surfaces, and you don't want to put too much stress on the handles. While I'm sure the old saws can, and have, stood up to use and abuse and a little more probably wouldn't amount to a hill of beans it's just something to keep in mind.

Just my 1/2 cent. Clay.

Thanks for the ideas, I have last months issue of Woodsmith, looks like I'll be hunting down this month's issue tomorrow! I will probably put most of the panel saws in a till, and put my smaller or neater ones out on display with the turnbuckle idea. My sharp user saws I keep the teeth protected with a guard, the others I don't worry too much about but still don't smack em on the concrete floor or anything. When I make whatever, I will post photos.

Steff

I remember the one which Dave Anderson made a few years ago which looked really nice. Here's the original thread. Dave may have some updated feedback, but it was a beauty then.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    This month's Woodsmith has a sweet saw till project. Sorry, this is the best partial pic I could find on short notice. It uses open finger-tenon joinery and even though I only have a few saws I am thinking of making one just because it looks so good.
    Wow. Thats a really cool idea.
    Now I just need some saws to store there!!
    Wishes-
    When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor

Most of my tools are in cabinets.

Here is what I use for my saws. Simple cabinet with inserts on piano hinges.
    Doesn't take up a ton of space but with hold quite a few saws.

saw till 2 014.jpg

saw till 2 012.jpg

Blog Entries
    Sweet looking cabinet Gary.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

11. I rearranged my tool wall after selling off the last of my metal planes and then had more room so I now hang my saws on pegs. It makes them easy to see and also easily accessible when I need them (I only have users).
    Workshop - Small.jpg

Mine are hung two to a peg but if you have a lot of wall space you could do one to a peg. This might be a cool decorating idea. You could put the ones that don't/can't get used up high out of the way and the users down lower where they are easily reached. You could also figure a way to orient them horizontally instead of hanging vertically (maybe another peg under the toe?). This way they would all be displayed.

Beautiful cabinet, Gary-I am drooling over your saws!!! Most of mine are OLD. My newest and most expensive is an Adria dovetail. The rest are old Disston or Atkins, have a few old English and a Warranted Superior. I looked everywhere for the magazine today, couldn't find it anywhere. FWW, PWW, etc, Shopnotes but not this issue. Arrgh!!!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...1&d=1234063939
    I used small earth magnets to attach saws to the wall, inexpensive and quick. Don't laugh it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rick Mellin

huh, some folks seem to use an awful lot of space for racking their saws.

I just took a piece of Western Maple about 9" x 5" x 3/4". Cut saw kerfs into it spaced about an 1" apart or so. Drilled out the inside end of two of the saw kerfs for the backsaw portion of my Veritas Dovetail Saw and my Sharksaw "backsaw" beastie. Screwed the board to my pegboard backwall. It has two Incra T-rules, the above two saws, a Sharksaw "dovetail" saw, and an Engineer's Square in it. I do protect all of the sawteeth with teeth protectors.

Essentially, this is similar to the old chisel rack idea. Drill a hole for the chisel shank. Cut a slot leading back to the hole (narrower than the hole), insert chisel. The hole doesn't have to be anywhere near the width of the chisel blade.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Those are beautiful saw tills, guys. I'm very impressed.

Here is mine. It holds a several rip and panel saws, several backsaws, two large mitre box saws, and a few Japanese saws. All in a relatively compact cabinet.

Regards from Perth

Derek