Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vinegar for Rust Removal - how long?

Re: vinegar and barbed wire for stain; You can make a very good black stain whih crushed oak nut galls,vinegar,and iron filings. We used it in the musical instrument maker film.

We got nut gall powder from Behlen IIRC. I think that oak sawdust would probably work if left to work in the solution for a longer time. The galls worked pretty quick as they have lots of tannin,but,so does oak.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bishop View Post
    Interesting thread. I recently used vinegar and pieces of rusted barbwire to make some leather dye. After a few days the wire was clean and rust free. Decided to try cleaning a rusty flea market backsaw blade. After three days it cleaned up beautifully, but has a dull finish. Will try fine wet or dry to brighten it up. Just something else to tinker with. I also bought an old handsaw with a lot more corrosion that I am going to give the vinegar treatment. Cider vinegar is needed for the leather dye. Don't know if that makes a difference for rust removal. I may be trying to re-invent the wheel, but that's OK. It's fun.

Charles

I have had success with cleaning vinegar which is made from molasses and is a bit more acidic that vinegar made from grapes .I don't know if its available in the US ,but we can buy it here from the laundry section in the local supermarket.
    I also use it to sharpen my metal working files .

Kev.

"You can make a very good black stain whih crushed oak nut galls,vinegar,and iron filings."

George - Isn't this the recipe for iron gall ink? I'm curious because I want to make some and collected a bunch of oak galls for the purpose last fall.

Probably is,David,though I never made any ink. The stain we made was for the film about making a spinet harpsichord. The original instrument we used as a guide had key sharps made of pearwood stained black.In fact,the entire front ends of the sharp keys were stained black.

This made a real black black,not like the black stains you can buy,that reveal a greenish or bluish tint when seen in a thinnish smear.

Thre is another black made with logwood,but I can't recall the recipe. Did use it a long time ago.

There are electrolytic ways to remove rust also. On the Practical Machinist's Forum the subject has been much discussed.