Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shadowed photo

shadowed photo

Ok, I'm trying to engrave a valentine's day present for our son from his new wife... however the photo she wants engraved on granite was taken outside and one side of her face is heavily shadowed. I lightened the photo and increased the contrast but when engraved one side of her face doesn't even appear... is there a way to correct this?

sorry the pic is small had to resample to .75 inches wide to get it to fit on here lol

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John & Alicia Love
    Pinnacle M series 40 Watt Laser
    Coreldraw X3, Photograv V2_11,
    an old handsaw and a garage full of toys.
    4 Kids (3 girls one boy), 4 grandkids, a Bloodhound, St. Bernard and a boxer.
    The dogs own the place and allow us to live with them.

I Like kids... I just can't eat a whole one
    Save the whales... Collect the whole set
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works if its open

Use the Burn tool over the lighter areas, the Dodge tool over her left eye to lighten it. Then adjust the contrast. Here is a quick shot at it. It would look better if done with the original photo.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 02-12-2009 at 6:17 PM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

You can zip the file and it will allow you to post a much larger file. Just right click on it and send it to "Compressed Folder", then you can upload that.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I adjusted this using the tone curve and the vignette tool.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

What program has theses tools?

Tim,

What program has these tools. If Photopaint, I've been unaware of them and could have accepted some photos from clients that I rejected. Some guidance is requested, if you don't mind.

Anthony
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Those are in PhotoPaint

1- Adjust ..tone curve
    2- Effects...Creative...Vignete

I know it's not much, but after all I've received from you all, I just got thrilled by helping someone else!
    Last edited by Chip Peterson; 02-12-2009 at 8:13 PM.
    Computer programs - CorelDraw X4, Vista operating system, Photograv, so many others.

Dye-sublimation. Epson 1400, Knight 16" x 20" press

I used Photoshop CS
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Tom Knight, new guy on this forum, and the creator of AdvancedArtist.com does some killer things with Photopaint. It's one of the training sessions in the package I mentioned on the other thread.

I honestly had no idea how powerful Photopaint was until I saw Tom using it.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Tom Knight, new guy on this forum, and the creator of AdvancedArtist.com does some killer things with Photopaint. It's one of the training sessions in the package I mentioned on the other thread.

I honestly had no idea how powerful Photopaint was until I saw Tom using it.
    Does he cover how to read a histogram????? I need tone curve and contrast help!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

I don't know, I haven't gotten that far yet It's 30 some hours worth of lessons and stupid work keeps getting in the way of my leisure time

Anthony

I just use PhotoPaint for my own amusement but it is a fine program--especially since it's "free" with CD.

Do a search for tutorials on google. There are a bunch of them --again--free.

I'd send links but I'm on a new PC and haven't got my favs listed yet.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks Mike,

I use the tone curve and vignette quite often. It's the shadows mentioned earlier I'd like to lighten and leave the rest of photo as is. I will do some research and see how it's done. I just never have heard of or know of a "burn" or "dodge" tool, unless they are called something else.

Now that I know they exist and this is possible to do I'll figure it out.

Anthony
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Anthony

I just bought a tutorial from Jeff Harrison at Graphics Unleashed. (very much against my principles)

But I needed it for a project I'm working on. It's about how to make various metallic effects. here's one.

edit: Well that doesn't look nearly as good here as it does in Photopaint.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 02-12-2009 at 9:51 PM. Reason: comment
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Screwed around with it quite a bit, used Paint Shop Pro

Mike, it looks like metal to me. Just use some highlighting for reflections and it would become very heavy.
    Steve Eide
    Versalaser 300 30 watt; Corel Draw X4; PhotoGrav 3