Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Impression of Woodriver Planes

My First Impression of Woodriver Planes

I’m no expert on planes, so what I have to say may not be totally accurate for the true aficionados. I also work part time at Woodcraft, so you can make your own decision as to whether there is any prejudice here. I’ve just seen quite a bit of chatter about these planes, so I thought I’d chime in for those of you that haven’t had a chance to see and/or fondle one yet.

We got our first Woodriver planes in yesterday, and my manager and I were like little kids waiting to open Christmas presents. We went with the number 4, and the first thing we noticed was the very nice packaging. They come in their own fitted wooden box, with foam rubber padding. They are also packed in a sealed plastic bag, much like the LN or Veritas, but it’s clear, so I doubt it’s corrosion resistant. They had a light oil on them that had a sweet fragrance. I compared it to the Camellia oil we sell, and it didn’t smell the same. I don’t know what the oil is, but it wipes down nicely with just a soft rag. A HUGE difference from those Groz things!

The first test was for square. Using an Incra square, we couldn’t detect any flaw in the machining for square, and it appeared flat as well. Someone will have to mic them to see what the final verdict is on that part of the machining. The casting and frog appear very similar, if not identical, to the Stanley Bedrock series, except for the lettering. It’s not crisp like other castings, almost like the black coating is more of an epoxy or other thick finish. The finish also isn’t gloss, it’s more of a matt look. The LN bench planes are also patterned after the Bedrocks, so that similarity exists too. We didn’t disassemble the frog, and I wouldn’t know what to look for inside anyway, so I can’t comment on that part. The handles are also pretty much Stanley clones, which I find less comfortable than the handles on the Veritas bench planes. That’s a personal preference issue, but the handles are attractive and seem to be well finished. The screw for the knob is counter bored deeper than most planes I’ve seen, which to my eye detracts from the look, but as to strength or other factors, only time will tell.

One difference that immediately comes to one’s attention is the thickness of the blade and chipbreaker. They’re both thicker than an original Stanley, but not as thick as a Hock, LN, Veritas, etc. The chipbreaker is styled like a Hock instead of the old Stanley style, as well. A light touch of the business end of the blade made it obvious a honing (at minimum) would be needed. We checked the blade for square, and it appeared to be sharpened properly that way, but it was noticeably sharper on one side than the other, which would most likely mean it would have to go to a stone before doing any serious work. I also don’t know the hardness of the blade, so it may have to be sharpened more often than a top end blade.

My boss couldn’t wait to see it against some wood, so he dug out a rough piece of something (I think it was mahogany, but not sure). He clamped it flat and went to work. The plane did a good job, and he even went pretty deep on a couple of passes. The board never got down to the point that he was getting full-width shavings, so again, I can’t testify to that, but the other shavings were pretty clean.

In my opinion, they seem to be a good value. They’re priced at about the point of a user grade Stanley Bedrock, but you get a new plane with all the parts and no rust, with a thicker blade. The nostalgia isn’t there, so if that matters, go with the Stanley. For those that can’t afford a cabinet full of $300-$700 planes, and don’t want to go to the effort of tuning an old plane or a less expensive brand, these are something to look at. They don’t have any specialty planes yet, so it’s still high dollar if you want a good shoulder plane, chisel plane, etc. I don’t know if there are future plans to expand the line into that area or not.

One last note, the block plane looks and feels just “plane” sweet. With the thicker blade, it may be a real winner, but I didn’t mess with it (yet). All I know is that I’m having to come up with a plan for a larger cabinet for storing my planes now.

Hope this helps at least some of you.

Greg

Where are they made?

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Where are they made?
    To the best of my knowledge, they are made in China.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Greg,
    Your report matches what I have read about them so far. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

FULL DISCLOSURE STATEMENT: Like Greg, I am also a Woodcraft employee. We received our first examples of the Wood River planes a couple of days ago. As the resident hand plane fanatic and Neanderthal, I received the honors of taking a couple of them (LA block plane, #4, #5) home to "play" with.

The vast majority of my hand planes are Lie-Nielsens or tuned-up pre-WWII Stanleys, with a handful of special-purpose wooden planes thrown in for fun. I consider Lie-Nielsen hand planes to be the "Gold Standard" for non-custom-made Bailey-style hand planes.

I do not own any Wood River hand planes, and probably will not purchase any, for the simple reason that the currently-available sizes (#3, #4, #5, #6, LA Block Plane) duplicate planes that I already own (in some cases, several of).

[My calipers measure in 1/64" increments. My feeler gauge's minimum measurement is .0015". I used a 4" steel engineer square to measure squareness and as a side to side straight edge. I used a 24" Woodcraft brand steel straight edge for the length straight edge.]

Some observations and statistics.:

#60-1/2 Low Angle Block Plane

Casting Thickness:

Sides: 10/64”
    Sole: 12/64”

Iron Thickness: 8/64”

Sole Flatness

Side to Side: less than .0015” deviation
    Length: less than .0015” deviation

Sole to Sides: square

Iron: square

Lever Cap: maximum of .016” off square

Brass parts all nicely machined

All moving parts functioned smoothly

Overall fit and finish very good

#4 Smoothing Plane

Casting Thickness:

Sides: 13/64”
    Sole: 13/64”

Sole Flatness

Chip Breaker: maximum of .010” off square

Lever Cap: maximum of .019” off square

Iron flatness: less than .0015” deviation

Casting frog mating surface flatness: less than .0015” deviation

Frog top flatness: less than .0015” deviation

Frog bottom flatness: less than .0015” deviation

Brass/Bronze parts all nicely machined

Yoke: cast bronze

Lateral adjuster: stamped steel

#5 Jack Plane

Casting Thickness:

Sides: 12/64”
    Sole: 12/64”

Sole Flatness

Chip Breaker: square

Lever Cap: maximum of .014” off square

Iron flatness: less than .0015” deviation

Casting frog mating surface flatness: less than .0015” deviation

Frog top flatness: less than .0015” deviation

Frog bottom flatness: less than .0015” deviation

Brass/Bronze parts all nicely machined

Yoke: cast bronze

Lateral adjuster: stamped steel

Observations and Comments:

Earlier today, one of our customers brought in his new Wood River #4 to do some tuning work on it. That consisted mostly of flattening and honing the iron and squaring the chip breaker. After getting the iron flat, honed, and somewhat polished (honed to the approximate equivalent of a 3000 to 4000 grit water stone) and getting the chip breaker close to 90 degrees square, we tested it on some hard maple. The plane was capable of taking about 3/4 width shavings about .003" to .004" in thickness. With additional honing up to the 8000 grit level, it will probably take somewhat thinner shavings. The surface of the board was very smooth to the touch and had a moderate glass shininess when held obliquely to the light.

While the machining is, for the most part, done to an impressively precise tolerance, there are a couple of recurrent problems:

All of the lever caps were visibly off-square; that indicates a quality control problem to me, particularly since I could look at the lever cap and see that it was not square.

The same thing applies to the off-square chip breaker: it was visibly and obviously not square; again a quality control problem.

The irons on all of these planes had only a utility edge put on them. It would produce shavings, but for best performance, additional honing is most definitely required.

The machinging on the casting frog mating surface had small ridges that could be felt with the finger tips, but I was unable to get a .0015" feeler gauge under the straight edge. A bit of polishing here would take care of this problem.

The hardness numbers on the iron are listed as Rc 60 - 64. To me, that is a pretty wide range and suggests that there is/could be some problems with the quality control in the heat treatment and tempering.

I intend to pass these observations to Woodcraft Corporate for their consideration in fixing them.

Overall, with the little bit of time that I've had to play with these planes, my impression is that they are very well-made tools, and are far superior to most of the modern-manufactured Stanleys and to all of the hardware store/Borg house brand planes. The quality and precision of the machining is impressively high. After honing the irons, they take thin shavings and leave a smooth surface on the wood; I haven't had a chance yet to test the edge-holding aspect of the irons. They are well-balanced in the hand, and the (rear) totes on the bench planes are very nicely shaped and sized; very similar to Stanley Type 11 and earlier totes.

In general, I think these are pretty nice planes that give a lot of capability for the money. For most of the well-behaved, more or less straight-grained woods, I think that they will do quite well. Where I suspect that these planes will have problems is with gnarly-grained and interlocking grained woods; if you routinely use those kinds of woods, that's where the extra dollars spent on the LV/LN planes will make you glad you spent the money.

As I gain more experience with these planes, I'll add more information/comments/observations.

I hope that the information in this overly-long posting will be of use or interest to the hand planing community.
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)

James,
    Are you sure about the 0.003"-0.004" shavings? Those are some really chunky shavings! If the blade has been properly prepared, and the sole is within 0.0015" as you indicated, then there shouldn't be any reason why you can't get the shavings down to 0.0015" or 0.002". BTW I would consider 0.001" to be a "medium" shaving -- for smoothing I would require a thinner shaving. 0.003" is OK for a longer plane flattening a board (although I'd take thicker shavings with a #5 with cambered blade).
    -Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Homan View Post
    James,
    Are you sure about the 0.003"-0.004" shavings? Those are some really chunky shavings! If the blade has been properly prepared, and the sole is within 0.0015" as you indicated, then there shouldn't be any reason why you can't get the shavings down to 0.0015" or 0.002". BTW I would consider 0.001" to be a "medium" shaving -- for smoothing I would require a thinner shaving. 0.003" is OK for a longer plane flattening a board (although I'd take thicker shavings with a #5 with cambered blade).
    -Andy
    Yes, although the thickness estimate is just that, compared to a piece of 20 lb paper; it was not measured with calipers. The iron was sharpened and somewhat honed on a Worksharp, to the equivalent of about 3000 to 4000 grit. With honing to 8000 grit, I doubt that the iron and plane will have any problem pulling shavings in the vicinity of .001 or less.

Tonight I'm going to sharpen, flatten, and hone the iron from one of the planes I took home last night, and do some more thorough testing and measuring.

More to come....
    Last edited by James Owen; 02-15-2009 at 1:51 PM.
    James

"Uke is always right."

Blog Entries
    I figured this one would start a brisk dialog. Thanks for taking the time to post the info Greg.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I think James should get the biggest thanks. He really put some time into the research behind the post.

BTW, I'm at work right now, and checked a box. They are made in China.

Greg

I've looked at a #5 and the LA block. The fit and finish on both are excellent save a few minor issues. The LA block is pretty hefty for its size, more so than my LV LA block. Both seem to be good users.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Homan View Post
    BTW I would consider 0.001" to be a "medium" shaving -- for smoothing I would require a thinner shaving. 0.003" is OK for a longer plane flattening a board (although I'd take thicker shavings with a #5 with cambered blade).
    1 thou is a "medium" shaving? Different strokes, I guess. Personally, I think it makes sense to take the thickest shaving that doesn't cause tearout. Why would you want to take more passes than necessary?

I agree with Chris. One of the uses of a hand plane is to remove wood. At .002" it would take 62 passes to remove 1/8". How fun is that? I love to "see" through thin shavings as much as the next guy, but this is a tool also.

Blog Entries
    My planes can take fat shavings when needed, as long as the mouth is open enough. It is not often my intention to take a piece down 1/8 inch by plane. That is what a good rip saw is for.

When a piece is being fitted, one often only wants to take off a thousandth or two at a time. This is also the case when one wants to "spring" a joint.

The best one of my planes has done , a #3 Stanley/Bailey, is .0006" shaving using a blade honed with a 9µ abrasive sheet. That is the finest grit on my power sharpening unit. At the time, I did not have the water stones that are now in my shop. Using the stones does not make so much for a thinner shaving as much as it makes a smoother shaving. It also defines the edge a little better. Theoretically, it has to wear a bit more before the blade needs to be honed again. Of course, hitting a knot or other debris changes this.

For those not wanting thin shavings, they do still come in useful when setting up a plane to determine the squareness of the frog seating. I had to borrow a friend's micrometer to measure shavings. One of these days, one will come along for my shop. For now, the caliper works OK, but only reads in thousands.

When working difficult grain, less wood removed equals less tear out.

jim

Wood River #5 Performance Testing Results

Method, Actions, and Ancillary Information:

Last night, I spent about 5 hours playing with the Wood River #5.

I polished the machining marks out of the top front bevel edge of the chip breaker (the chip breaker design is somewhat similar to the LN and Hock chip breakers) and did a little polishing on the underside of the bevel area. I also flattened the iron and honed/polished the bevel. The iron flattened somewhat faster than I was expecting, given the published hardness range (Rc 60 - 64). Both the iron and the chip breaker were taken to 8000 grit on water stones.

After re-assembling the plane and adjusting the iron (mouth opening was about 1/8" wide), I tried it out on the edge of a piece of 4/4" poplar. After a couple of passes to get the edge straight, it easily and smoothly peeled off full-length, full-width thick, curly shavings in the .01" - .02" vicinity. The surface was clean, shiny, and smooth to the touch. After retracting the iron and planing in several increments, I ended up with super-thin, spiral, curly, hair-like shavings that would barely stay together: what I call "Angel Hair." These were somewhere around .001", perhaps a bit thinner.

After re-adjusting the iron for a heavier cut, I then went to work on the face of this same piece of poplar. Again, it produced nearly full-length, full-width thick, curly shavings around .01" - .02" thickness. Again, the surface was clean, shiny, and smooth to the touch. (There were some plane tracks from the corners of the iron, which I deliberately did not camber, since I do not own this plane and did not have permission from the store owner to do that to the iron.) I again retracted the iron in stages, with each retraction producing increasingly thinner shavings. I finally ended with shavings similar to those from the edge that would barely stay together. The surface quality was also similarly smooth.

To test edge retention, I used a piece of rough-sawn 6/4" Red Oak approximately 10" x 12". I started with a straight edge to find the big "hills", which were marked and spot-planed to the approximate height of the rest of the board. I then planed from the left side of the board, perpendicular to the grain, over the entire board, and then did the same thing from the right side of the board. Next, I followed the same sequence, but planing diagonally, at about 45 degrees to the grain, instead of directly across the grain. Finally, I planed with the grain across the face of the board, ending with a more or less flat board (I wasn't really aiming to produce a "perfectly" flat board; I was more interested in seeing how the iron would hold up to heavy planing on a tougher wood.) The surface was shiny when held obliquely to the light, but I could see small track-like lines all across the board, parallel to the grain (more on this later), along with fewer heavier lines which were similar to the plane tracks seen in the poplar. The surface was reasonably smooth to the touch, but would obviously need the attentions of a smoothing plane to make it finish-ready; the small track-like lines could be felt on the surface.

The final planing test was on the face of a piece of 4/4" hard maple, approximately 8" X 14". I adjusted the iron to a very, very light cut and then closed the mouth opening to about 1/64". I then re-adjusted the iron so that it just barely was showing above the sole. Peeling about 3/4 width "Angel Hair" shavings even thinner than the poplar shavings was no problem. After several passes across the width of the board, I pulled it off of the bench and held it obliquely to the light. The surface was very glass-like shiny, but again there were numerous small track-like lines parallel to the grain all across the face of the board, as well as the heavier tracks from the corners of the iron. The board was very smooth to the touch, almost like polished marble, but again, the track-like lines were just barely discernable to the touch.

After finishing planing, I the pulled the iron off the plane and re-adjusted the mouth opening back to approximately 1/8".

Observations and comments:

In attempt to somewhat reduce the length of this post and to moderate repetition, I'll try to keep the repetition of previously-posted information to an absolute minimum.

Good stuff:

The mass of the plane allows it to develop significant momentum and take heavy cuts easily. With a heavily cambered iron and an open mouth, this plane could perform scrub plane duties all day long.

All adjustments are smooth and positive. There is a bit of backlash in the depth adjuster mechanism (about a turn to a turn and a half or so). Frog adjustment is very easy and positive, both forward and backward. If you need to remove the frog from the casting, the frog retaining pins are notched on the top showing where the screw holes are, making alignment with the tightening screws very easy. Lateral adjustment of the iron is easy and positive, but it is somewhat sensitive to the tightness of the lever cap; if the lever cap is loose, the lateral adjuster tends to let the iron shift slightly from side to side in use. Slightly tightening the lever cap screw (about 1/4 turn or so) solves this minor problem.

The iron cut well, and after flattening and honing, was able to produce very thin, fluffy shavings typical of a good quality hand plane. The surface was generally polished marble smooth and of very nice quality. (However, see below in the Not So Good Stuff: section for some caveats to the preceding statement.)

The chip breaker has a very interesting design. The upper portion is quite similar to the Hock and Lie-Nielsen type chip breakers, in that it is flat with a fairly wide bevel at the front end. On the bottom side, however, is the interesting part. It appears to be something of a hybrid of the LN and the old Stanley types: there is a machined lip at the front end, but it is not flat like the LN, instead it is somewhat curved, almost like a tongue. The intent of this design appears to be to combine the mass of the LN lip with the flexibility of the old Stanley curved type chip breaker, and take advantage of the virtues of each. In the limited amount of time I've spent using and testing this plane, it appears to be a success: while using the plane, the chip breaker did not allow any shavings to come between the chip breaker and the iron.

I found the tote and knob very comfortable in use. If you like the completely rounded somewhat oval profile (the ones with no flat areas on the sides) of the totes that Stanley used on Type 11 and earlier bench planes, you'll probably like these -- a lot: they are a well-executed, near-exact copy of that style tote. To my hand, they felt "just right". If, on the other hand, you're a fan of the more upright and angular Veritas style tote, you may not like these quite as much....

The machined surfaces on the top and the bottom of the frog both appear to have been ground. There are very subtle machining marks (like the ones on the sole and sides of the casting), but they are quite smooth to the touch and the surfaces are very flat.

The machining and polishing on all of the brass/bronze parts (except the yoke which is left largely in a rough casting state) is quite nice and precisely executed. The machining around the circumference of the depth adjuster knob is particularly nicely done.

The balance in the hand, the heft, and the overall "feel" of the plane ranks right up there with the best that Stanley produced prior to WW II, and with the better modern plane makers' products. Overall fit and finish are impressively good.

Not So Good Stuff:

The rivet that connects the lateral adjuster to the frog appears to have loosened up with just a small amount of use. There is about 1/8" to 1/4" of vertical play on the lateral adjuster lever. As noted before, the lateral adjuster lever is folded/twisted, stamped steel. On a personal note, I strongly dislike this style of lateral adjuster because it feels rather flimsy in my hand; my preference is for the old Stanley version (what they used before they replaced it with the stamped metal version currently in use) and the LN version (an improvement of the old Stanley type).

After completion of the planing and removal of the iron, I examined the iron under 10X magnification. What I saw explained the tracks on the surface of the oak and the maple. What I saw was also extremely disappointing: across about 3/4 of width of the iron, the edge had crumbled. Instead of a plane iron, I had a serrated steak knife. The serrations were sub-millimeter in size, but very distinct. Despite the fact that they were present in the first place, one good thing is that they were pretty even in size; that suggests that the crystaline structure of the steel is reasonably uniform -- a very good thing. The crumbling might be a residual effect from the heat treatment (where one must hone/grind back a bit to remove the slag-like damaged surface metal that often results from heat treating), or it might be an indicator that the heat treating was improperly done, or that (the as much as) Rc 64 hardness in an iron of this thickness, composition, and bevel angle (25 degrees) might be too hard to retain an edge in anything other than the softest woods. My metallurgical knowledge is far too limited to be able to make anything other than a semi-SWAG.....so I won't. Regardless of the actual causes of the metal crumbling, there are a couple of obvious potential solutions that suggest themselves: (1) hone/grind back a couple of hundredths of an inch to remove all of the residual slag components; (2) re-heat treat; (3) increase the bevel angle to 30 degrees (since this is a bevel down plane, the effective cutting angle will remain 45 degrees; it won't make any effective difference in the cutting capability or effort, but will increase the durability of the cutting edge). FWIW, it took about 5 minutes with a coarse diamond stone and 800/1200/4000/8000 water stones to restore the cutting edge. It worked fine and a gave clean surface cut for the couple of passes that I did, but I did not do any further testing to check the durability, etc. (it was nearly 0130.....).

Conclusions and (additional) Editorial Comments:

Overall, I find these to be very well-designed, well-executed, and well-manufactured hand planes, especially when the price is taken into account. As noted in previous postings, there are a couple of details that better quality control could easily corrrect.

The main problem I found is with the iron. Since I have not done further testing after re-honing, I do not know whether the edge will have the same problems that I encountered in the above tests or whether the re-honing has solved the problem. (More on this later after more testing....)

The edge retention problem with the iron and the other relatively minor problems with squareness (mentioned previously) aside, these appear to me -- based on the limited time that I have had to "play" with them -- to be high-quality planes that will provide good service and will give the user very good performance (probably something in the vicinity of 90% - 95% of the performance of a premium plane -- i.e., LN or LV -- at about 1/3 of the price: very similar to what can be extracted from a well-tuned pre-WW II Stanley). If Woodcraft corrects the couple of quality-control problems previously mentioned, and fixes the edge retention problem with the irons, I think they will have a real winner here: one that gives plane users a very high performance level at a very reasonable cost. FWIW, that is intended to be high praise from someone who thinks that Lie-Nielsen is the cats' meow when it comes to production Bailey style planes.....

Finally...please keep in mind that all of the previous comments and observations are based on a statistically insignificant sample population: 2 X LA Block planes, 2 X #4 Smoothing planes, 1 X #5 Jack plane, and 1 X #6 Try/Fore plane. YMMV!!!!!

It is my hope that the above/previously-posted information/commentary will be of some use to anyone who is considering the acquisition of any of these planes.
    Last edited by James Owen; 02-17-2009 at 12:35 AM. Reason: correct typo
    James

"Uke is always right."

James,

Thanks for the thorough review. I am really interested in starting into handplanes, and these seem like they might be a good option. I need to go to the KC Woodcraft store and see if I can play with a couple of planes.