Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japanese garden bench

Very nice work on both pieces Alan! Too bad this one wasn't ready to sit on when I was down there, or we could have given it a REAL bounce test! I just delivered a chaise lounge last week, and I told my petite customer that I sat on it for a while just to make sure.

To everyone else, I was privileged to visit Alan at his shop about two weeks ago, and it was a real treat for me to see his work in person. I was also impressed with the combination of hand and power tools, especially that shaper head pattern cutter. All I can say is, I want one!

Bill

Alan,

I suspect youwill be seeing that client back for more - along with all of their friends and relatives! Beautiful work.

Wes

David,
    The information you found on Paulownia is what I found as well. Plus, I querried Jon Arno on the species, and he confirmed that it was at least a reasonable choice for the project at hand. Rot and bug resistant. He is quite a gentleman, and freely shares his wealth of knowledge about wood, species, etc. By the way, I grew up in Kansas City, and all of my people were from Southwest MO, so there were many car trips from KC to Joplin and Springfield. One lasting memory of those trips was the wealth of Burma Shave signs. Yours is great! YOu might send it over to the laser guys for making into signs for shops. I might be a customer.

Mark
    The joinery mortises were done with my new-to-me Griggio Slot Mortiser. What a tool. Accurate, fast set up. End mills from Bentz tools, out in CA. One is a ˝" dia, with 4 inches of cutting length. Solid carbide. I have wanted one of these since I first saw Alphonse Mattia demo one at a weekend seminar in about 1980 or so. New cost is about $4500, and I would never spend the money. Now I sort of wish I had. But, I finally got lucky. I had searched for 20 years for a used one, and never found one. He demo’d the Griggio, because that was what was in the Buck County Community College shop at the time. First time I had ever seen or heard of one. I hate to use routers for mortises since they are loud, and spray dust all over. Before the Griggio, I was going to buy the new Festool ˝" router, if only for the dust collection I am sure that it has, but now I may not. I do use routers, but only when I can’t do it otherwise. BTW, the dust collection on the shaper with the pattern cutting head is terrific, and it is just an old PM 26, nothing special. I cut all of the tenons on the TS, and use the old and heavy Delta cast iron tenoning jig. I bought it in the early 80's for $275, and I think that this is still the price. Inflation be damned. I couldn't really chop these by hand as the Paulownia is so soft that it tears easily, and a clean cut with a chisel is quite difficult. I squared the ends of all the mortises with a 20 degree paring chisel. Try that in a harder wood. ( :

Aaron – I took the pix the way that I did because it was the limit of my paper backdrop. When I deliver it this weekend, I will shoot it in situ – i.e., in the garden. Actually I think it is to live on the front stoop of my clients’ home. Then you will get a sense of the scale. That is assuming that I remember to post the pix. These were taken for my web site, and so will be public when I find the time.

For all – There was an article in FWW in about the summer of 2000 by a fellow from Washington state on the building of a garden bench of Spanish cedar. The copper rivets method is from him. The bench is on the cover. The essential structure of this bench, and the one on my web site (which is of Spanish cedar) is from those prints. The angle of the back is 9 degrees off vertical. The seat rail is curved at a 21" or so radius. Seat height is 17", depth about 20" or so, which is pretty standard, I think. Here the slats are a full 1.25" for strength since the Paulownia is not as strong as the cedar. I built 5 at once and storage of the parts was a bear in my limited shop space. This was before I turned “pro” meaning (according to brother Grumbine) that I charge for my work. One is in Boston, one in Portland OR, one in Chester County PA, and two at my home in a Philadelphia suburb. So far, so good, but the back design is not right on the earlier ones since the crest rail is a single plank, bandsawn from 8/4. I think it will crack and break over time. too much cross grain. Were I to do a curved crest rail version again, I would jig it up, and do it out of bent laminations, for strength. Boy do I hate the sp. cedar dust. I smelled it for months after that project, which was before I was so into hand tools.

Bill - I sold a lathe and 20" bandsaw to a friend, and Bill is teaching him to turn. So, I had Bill over for dinner afterwards, and we had a nice evening. His comments are overly kind. And yes, Bill, I think it will hold you just fine, but you only get 2 bounces. ( :

Thanks to all for the kind remarks.

Alan

Mm..mmmu...ssttt h-h-h-hhhhave some Pp-pp-p..pppp..aulownia-a-a...aaaa wood!!!

Sounds like a too good to be true tree!

John,

Here ya go...25 trees for $250!!!

http://www.paulowniasupply.com/paulo...ings_order.htm

Now if you could just grow cabinets, dressers, etc.!
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 07-08-2004 at 11:27 AM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

An office mate in my day job is a gardener, and she mentioned that this tree grows as in weedsw, so be careful that what you wish for will come true.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    An office mate in my day job is a gardener, and she mentioned that this tree grows as in weedsw, so be careful that what you wish for will come true.
    Alan
    I think I read someplace about that. How the seeds take very easily, that is. LOML saw an ad selling the seeds in one of those coupon collections you get in the mail and talked about planting one in the front, partly because they have such pretty blooms. I dissuaded her from the idea, partially on this point.

I also read that there are 12 different species, and they have slightly different characteristics. The timber derived from them could vary based on species as well. From what I've read, the trees are mature enough for harvesting wood from in 7 years or so.

Here's some of the sites I found if someone is really interested.

http://www.paulownia.com/
    http://www.paulownia.org/
    http://www.idrc.ca:8080/library/document/071235/
    http://www.dragontrees.com/
    http://www.paulowniawood.com/
    http://www.paulowniatrees.org/
    http://www.paulowniasupply.com/

And some pictures.

Approx. 4 months growth.

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'Tis folly to be wise."
    -Thomas Gray-

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    By the way, I grew up in Kansas City, and all of my people were from Southwest MO, so there were many car trips from KC to Joplin and Springfield. One lasting memory of those trips was the wealth of Burma Shave signs. Yours is great! YOu might send it over to the laser guys for making into signs for shops. I might be a customer.
    I'm glad you got a charge out of it Alan. I mentioned in another thread that LOML and I were talking about old ads one night, and the BS ads came up. That's when I had the idea.

If anyone would be interested in that sig pic as Alan suggested, feel free to use it. I also have one saved on the computer with the 1st 4 signs blank, and just the Burma Shave logo in the last one so you could create your own, or use one of the original sayings. All you need is a basic photo or picture program that lets you insert text. You can PM me if you're interested.
    "Where ignorance is bliss, 'Tis folly to be wise."
    -Thomas Gray-

Fast Growing Trees

The Paulownia is known by its more popular name- the Royal Empress Tree in the West. It is certainly one of the fastest growing trees in the world. I am a cultivator of these stately trees besides other fast growing trees. From personal experience, the Paulownia has an amazing growth rate. A lot of my customers ask for the Royal Empress just because it is one attractive flowering tree that shoots up to 15 feet in a year. Now that’s fast for you!
    Here, check out this link: http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/EmpressTree.htm
    Last edited by Alex Lee; 01-04-2008 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Removed promotional commercial link - Prohibited by TOS

I must say I really love the lines and your design here with this piece. Very nice...
    GCC LaserPro 30-Watt
    Mercury Laser Engraver/ Corel X3

SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lee View Post
    The Paulownia is known by its more popular name- the Royal Empress Tree in the West. It is certainly one of the fastest growing trees in the world. I am a cultivator of these stately trees besides other fast growing trees. From personal experience, the Paulownia has an amazing growth rate. A lot of my customers ask for the Royal Empress just because it is one attractive flowering tree that shoots up to 15 feet in a year. Now that’s fast for you!
    Here, check out this link: http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/EmpressTree.htm

It should also be noted that Paulownia is considered an invasive species and planting should be done with real discretion. Here in Richmond, VA the things are growing in every nook and cranny on sites that are neglected. In some instances they are literally growing from the cracks of masonry buildings; they are truly pernicious. As someone else said, be careful what you wish for.

As for stately, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It has giant, heart-shaped leaves and looks like a giant weed when growing (because it is basically). Someone once described it as looking like rotting cabbage when the leaves begin to drop.