Thread: Link / Power Twist Belt Question

Link / Power Twist Belt Question - UPDATE

I've been doing a little machine maintenance this week. The jointer seem to run a little clunky, so I though I would replace the 14 yr old belt with a link belt. As it turns out the motor had shifted and the pulleys were bad out of co-planer. I adjusted the motor and went ahead and switched belts. It works fine, but sounds like a jet engine. I have a couple link belts on my compressor and band saw (both slower motors). I recall a little belt noise from the compressor when I switched, but nothing like this and it is long since gone. I know the link belts are directional and it is on the correct way. I think I might switch back to the original unless this is normal and it will settle down in a week or so. Thanks for any thoughts.

John
    Last edited by John Weber; 07-22-2004 at 12:28 AM.

No thoughts, but thanks for reminding me of the directionality. I just put some on my DP and didn't even think to check the rotation!

John, my experience with link belts is that they normally greatly reduce noise, rather than raise it. That includes on my TS as well as the BS and J that I used to own. Do you have the right "size" on the machine?...they come in different widths. Direction of rotation is also important. BTW, after they are on for a bit and used, you need to re-tension them...they will stretch a little at first. But you shouldn't be having a lot of extra noise with the link belts. (Are you using the PowerTwist belts {red} or others?)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I believe that there are three sizes of belts,3/8", 1/2", and 5/8. Might want to double check this.

Dave

Blog Entries
    I know you said you checked it, but I have to agree with the others, link belts are very quiet. Make sure the tabs on the inside of the belt are pointing back opposite the direction of rotation.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Sorry for the long delay for an update. But as it turns out the belt was to large for the pulley, or really the space in the casting that retains the cutter head pulley. It was rubbing the casting making the jet engine noise. I repositioned the motor (dropped it twice, the second time cracking the fan shroud - !@#$#) Nothing a little fiberglass could take care of (hopefully it will hold), but all is well now. Thanks for your input. Yes, sometimes it pays to use someone elses brain.

John
    Last edited by John Weber; 07-22-2004 at 9:31 AM.

Hi John

I still use and have used link belts for tools and they do make a difference in both noise reduction and vibration reduction. My main complaints about them are that they stretch and will have to have a link or two taken out eventually, and theat they are expensive. An alternatively which works just as well and is much cheaper is a cogged belt. These are available thru industrial supply places like MSC and McMaster-Carr or thru dedicated power transmisson houses like Eastern Bearings.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH