Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Saw Stop is here

Saw Stop is here

http://www.sawstop.com/home.htm

I saw the ad or article (forget which) in the latest issue of FWW. How many folks do you think will lay out the 2200 (+ extra for goodies) for a "PM66 equivalent" for this safety factor?

There was a long thread here about Saw Stop a while ago.

Thoughts?

Moderator note: Please comment on the tool question per se. The previous thread on this subject got out of hand and was eventually removed. Please stay on topic of the tool itself. That will save me a lot of editing .
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 07-08-2004 at 2:57 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Nice idea, but I don't think it will get wide acceptance due to the extra cost, despite the potential safety advantages. Many folks are generally loath to spend more than they have to, even when it's a good idea. Unfortunately, many of these people are the very ones who would benefit most from the technology.

Hopefully, they will sell enough machines to generate the revenue to stay afloat. Frankly, it's amazing they are still out there, given the very long delay in getting a machine on the market with the technology, from them or anyone. Somebody must be pouring the bucks in there from someplace! I hope it succeeds as it's a good idea.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-08-2004 at 2:38 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just talked to a guy that lost a finger in a tablesaw accident. He said he would have paid double the price of the saw if he had his finger back. I'm thinking about putting one in the classroom of my store and possibly retailing it...I have to check with the powers that be and see if I can do it.

right tilt?

Aren't left tilt saws touted as safer saws? Wonder why they built a right tilt?

Kurt

I think it is a good idea but it is just to expensive. I would like to see it in high school shops. Just to be a little safer. I wonder if there are more accidents in schools than in other areas of woodworking.
    Pete Lamberty

I'm looking forward to hearing from the first SMCer to buy one. It looks like there are a number of other features and innovations on the cabinet saw including the drive belt system and a riving knife. I am also looking forward to a report on fit and finish as well as quality of the various castings and other parts. It will take a while to find out about durability. It also appears that you'll need to change the SawStop cartridges ($70) every time you change from a 10" blade to a dado blade.

Sooooo... who's going to be the first SMC member with a SawStop in their shop? All you need is a spare $2200 and you can have the newest cabinet saw to play with. Of course, you'll need to add another $250 to $350 for a fence.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Am I reading it right? $2200 for the saw plus another $250 -$350 for a fence system? Yikes!

It does look like a nice cabinet saw.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Ken, We'll try our best! I wasn't involved in the last one so this one should go smoothly, right?!

Anyone who has had an accident will always speak positively in hindsight. One's attitude changes after such a horrific appendage/digit loss. I bet most folks won't put up the money: "I've been cutting on my TS for 37 years and never even had a close call!"

I bet they sell a lot of these saws to small companies or industry and the high-school classroom sounds like a great idea. I worry that if you learn to use a Saw Stop in high-school but don't get one later on, will you become complacent?

Right-tilt vs. Left-tilt is a whole 'nother thread, Kurt. Feel free to start one!

Bruce, you read the same as I do...you don't even get a fence for 2200! The real price of the saw is more like 2400 minimum for a half-way decent fence system...more like 2500 for a good fence system.

Shoot, $700 for the contractor saw plus $150 for the iron extensions. I watched their video demos. Is that a hot dog they're using to demonstrate the thing?

I tihnk labeling it the best contractor saw on the market may be a wee bit premature, too. It may be the safest, but even that wouldn't be a bragging right until it's truly been proven.

I also noticed they sell extra brake cartridges for it, with a cartridge for a 10" blade being $59, and one for a 7" or 8" dado being $69. With it being more expensive, I assume the cartridge for the dado is a different, separate unit to handle the extra weight. If that's the case, does that mean you would have to change the brake cartridge to use a dado stack?

Interesting.
    "Where ignorance is bliss, 'Tis folly to be wise."
    -Thomas Gray-

I thought the SawStop came with a Bies clone fence.

I feel the SS could actually make people complacent, sort of like the 4x4 SUV's and trucks around here who forget that 4WD doesn't make you stop any faster.

Am I looking to trade my saw in for a SS? I don't theeeeenk so.

If I didn't already have a cabinet saw, I'd think about it. I'll never know what I would have decided had the SS been available when I was looking for a saw. Sounds like around $400 for the SS mechanism over a PM66 (assuming equal quality). I think you need new cartridges when one is used (i.e. the saw saves your finger). I think the key here is that it is equivalent to a PM66 quality wise. I would also have some concern about future availability of cartridges/parts as I'm sure SS isn't "in the money" quite yet. But, I would certainly find the $400 cheap if it ever went off. And, a riving knife would be good too.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

I Would Buy a Saw Stop !!

I have been following the Saw Stop for a year or so. I have a Delta Contractors saw that does not have DC capabilities and will eventually replace it. Whether I buy a Saw Stop, PM66, General, or a Uni is still determined.

A couple of things I noticed:

The right extension table has no support legs. Is that Stable? will it sag?

It requires a special brake for Dado's?? At least thats what the pricing says. Does that mean I have to change the brake cartidge every time I switch to/ from a Dado?
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Well,

I could do without my table saw entirely.....so no SawStop for me.

If the cartridge fires...you'll need to replace the blade and the cartridge. I'm a bit leary at the bearings and arbor and trunnion all staying in tip top shape and proper alignment as well....The dado stack requires a separate cartridge...because of smaller diameter and larger width and larger mass. Kiss your $200 stack good by...that said...if it stopped an appendage/digit loss, I'd gladly pay for a new saw. Hard to replace a hand or finger or arm.....better yet, I'll just take the money I would spend on a sawstop and put it towards a big 'ol bandsaw and avoid table saw dangers all together
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

I'd like a better shot of the dust shroud they place around the blade. If that could be sold separately or retrofitted to my TS....

What I don't get is that if you get a finger in the spinning sawblade for a "split second" isn't the damage mostly already done? Is the SS just to better prevent a digit loss due to human body momentum into the blade? Is this the overall idea? I haven' t been following the SS ordeal.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.