Thread: Tavern Table plans?

Tavern Table plans?

Guys I'm looking for the plans to a tavern game table. The kind that are about 36" square with the drink holders on the legs. Can anyone point me in the right direction or do I need to freelance one? Thanks

Tim

Tim - I've familiarity with 18th century furniture forms, and "tavern table" is a term often applied to some 18th century colonial American furniture. If this is what you mean, I'm a bit confused. "Gaming tables" that are roughly square and have candle plates on the corners (and often wells for "fish" for each player) sort of fit your description - they are almost always folding tables with swing legs.

However, "tavern table" is a term most often applied to a relatively simple leg and apron table that doesn't fold (at least not with swing-out legs). A "butterfly" table is a clasely related form that has two folding leaves.

If you're looking for either one of these types of forms, there's scads of plans available, from the New Yankee Workshop to more authentic versions that Carlyle Lynch drew (sold by the Olde Mill Cabinet Shoppe and Tools for Working Wood, among other sources). You can also find an overall plan in one of Lester Margon's books.

Blog Entries
    Here's one that is obviously home made.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee, yes I'm looking for something similar to your picture. Doesn't need the turned legs. My dad had mentioned once about thinking they were kinda cool and thought I would build one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Anderson View Post
    Lee, yes I'm looking for something similar to your picture. Doesn't need the turned legs. My dad had mentioned once about thinking they were kinda cool and thought I would build one.
    I did a google search for tavern table and came up with a variety of designs almost as numerous as taverns. Apparently almost any table design was used in a tavern. Adding the round holder shouldn't be hard. A couple of circles and some dowels attached to the underside of the table design of your choice. I didn't locate any specific plans.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

thanks Lee, I think I will try to integrate the mug shelves more into the table somehow. I remember seeing one 20+ years ago when deer hunting in northern Wis. I guess I'll freelance something from memory. For some reason my memory is a little foggy from that night. LOL.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Anderson View Post
    I remember seeing one 20+ years ago when deer hunting in northern Wis. ...... For some reason my memory is a little foggy from that night. LOL.
    You must have been the inspiration for the song "The second week of deer camp" by the Da Yoopers.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Tim - One thought on seeing Lee's picture is to build a swing-out design. One could put a small "L" shaped piece below the ring if you want it to hold cans and bottles, but tapered glasses and cups would be even easier - no need for a bottom support.