Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plaque/laser foil - Help Please

plaque/laser foil - Help Please

What am I doing wrong?

I'm lasering walnut plaques. I thought getting the position right would be the hardest but...

I already wasted a plaque! This is the first time I'm using the laser foil from laserbits & the first time doing walnut. The instructions say to Lightly apply the foil to the project and burnish foil after lasering. I did that on a test pc of wood and some pcs came off so I figured I had put it on too lightly. so when I did the plaque I rubbed it a little with my hand before lasering. After lasering, took the extra pcs off fine and burnished using the paper backing and my hand, so far so good. Then I had to clean the residue of (there is more residue with the walnut plaque than with my test pc which was maple) Now is when My problem starts. I can't get of all of the residue (off the foil parts) and before I even get glose the corners of my foil pc are lifting! and they won't go back down! I was using warm water on a rag, Didn't get it all off so I tryed goo off (works on wood for me) but still can't get it off the foil.

SO...

Did I not burnish enough after lasering?
    Is it normal to have the residue on the foil?
    (I did not use air assist, should I?)

To give you an idea without posting the file, there is a medical symbol with a rastered out background and in a separate area a few lines of copy with a rastered out background that both get the gold foil.

I need to do 5 of these all together and already need to replace one. Is there anyone with laserfoil experience that can gove advise?
    Jackie McGowan
    25W Pinnacle Mercury CO2 Laser

"Don't believe everything you think."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have no experience with laserfoil, but can you raster before you apply the foil? Clean the wood of residue if there is any then vector around the foil you want to keep and weed out the rest?
    Margaret Turco

60 watt Universal V-460, Coreldraw X4

Hi Margaret,

According to the directions your supposed to put the foil on first but, since I have a bad plaque now at least I can experiment a little on it so I may try it. Thanks
    Jackie McGowan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jackie

Put the foil on with a plastic squeegee of credit card before lasering. Watch your power settings as you can scorch the foil. Clean first then weed. Use a diluted orange type cleaner very carefully with a soft cloth or paper towel.

If you need to raster around the image you may want to draw a white hairline around the image just to add a little protection. Not sure it works but my results are pretty good.

Here's an example in this thread.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88786
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike those are really nice. Thanks for the input. I was afraid to burnish the foil too much before lasering (I thought the excess may ruin the finish when being pulled off), so I think that was my first error. I'm trying a test now with the air assist on, so hopefully I will have a little less residue. The goo off stuff is a citrus based oil but I think I have a different citrus one here I will try too. The plaque I'm doing is the same color as the FF one so I'll be using the shoe polish too. Wish me luck ... and thanks again
    Jackie McGowan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jackie

I use Fiebings liquid sole dressing from the shoe repair shop. I use that before cleaning the foil.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Last time I used foil

last time I used laser foil I put the foil on the wood. I made sure it was all down with no bubbles. Then I applied masking tape over top the foil and lasered through it all. It was great I peeled off the masking tape and didn't have to clean off anything. It was on a plaque from about two years ago and it still looks great. I have also applied the foil and just vector cut it. I peeled away the excess and it left my lettering intact. I used the laser foil from Sign Warehouse that I got when I bought my laser. ( OK Laugh, but I did buy there, I am kind of lucky cause they have helped a little.) You may have to work on the settings of your laser to get it to engrave and cut clean. I would get a cheap piece of wood and play with settings untill you get it to burn away clean.
    30 Watt Laser Pro Spirit

Life is too short to drink BAD BEER!

Jerry

I like what you have to say especially about beer.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Ok I did a test on the back of the ruined plaque (It has the same finish on back as on front) Since I'm using the shoe polish (I actually have the liquid one for the soles of the shoe here, just a different brand) I thought I could speed up my time. So I did that with the air assist on, and I did get less residue (still some though). and I had burnished the foil this time with the credit card before engraving. I used the sole polish then cleaned the foil with simple green. The simple green seemed to clean it all off very well and easily! the test looks good and at least now I feel confident I can do it! I may raster it twice though because I want it a little deeper.

Jerry the masking tape sounds like it would work on simpler designs and I will keep it in mind. I'd be afraid to do it on this because the medical symbol has some thin lines and I'm afraid I'll pull those off with the tape.

Well I wasted a plaque but I have three things in my favor:
    I learned something
    I have time to order another blank
    and I'm still making out good $ wise on the order

Thanks again!
    Jackie McGowan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good job Jackie! I'm glad you got it to work!
    Margaret Turco

60 watt Universal V-460, Coreldraw X4

I've used the laser foil twice and I put it on very firmly.....as hard as I can actually......because the first time I used it.....when I "burnished" it (and I couldn't figure out which side of the used paper to do it with....so I used both sides!) a few pieces came off. I didn't get any residue from the rastering, so I can't help you there. Actually, I don't think I helped you at all!!!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    .... Actually, I don't think I helped you at all!!!
    No, you didn't, but you did make me laugh. First time I used it I had little bits of the stuff stuck on just about everything!

Jackie any polish that you had on the wood could cause the sticky tape to fail on it's own. I've used that stuff a couple of times to great effect but I engraved the wood first, cleaned the wood, then put the foil on after and used very low power (10%) with 100% speed to vector. Afterwards it will accept any polish over the top and it shouldn't peel.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    No, you didn't, but you did make me laugh. First time I used it I had little bits of the stuff stuck on just about everything!

Jackie any polish that you had on the wood could cause the sticky tape to fail on it's own. I've used that stuff a couple of times to great effect but I engraved the wood first, cleaned the wood, then put the foil on after and used very low power (10%) with 100% speed to vector. Afterwards it will accept any polish over the top and it shouldn't peel.
    Frank, when you vector at full speed, don't you get wiggly lines. If my vectors are anything but lines and simple curves, the cut shows tiny wiggles in them.

George
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Brown View Post
    Frank, when you vector at full speed, don't you get wiggly lines. If my vectors are anything but lines and simple curves, the cut shows tiny wiggles in them.

George
    George I haven't had that problem. If you are getting squiggles I suspect that your vector has the problem in it, perhaps lines that are covered and not visible straight off. That might be whats causing it. All of mine worked out fine.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Jackie,

One other thing you can try in the future - I use the orange revitalizing oil from Pledge on my solid wood plaques to brighten them back up after etching.

On one occasion where I was using the foil on Alder, I was talking while working (imagine that - there should be a warning of talking while working and their results posted somewhere). Well, I accidentally put the oil on the plaque before etching first - foil and all. I figured instead of embarassing myself and pointing out I went out of sequence, I continued like I was supposed to do it that way - loaded and continued to talk. When it was done, I wiped off the oil with windex - along with it, all the residue. Then re-oiled around the foil to protect the wood again.

So now when I use the foil, I coat it with a light coat of the oil to keep residue from sticking. Not sure if it will work for you, but I thought I'd mention it for GP....
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.