Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly drill press depth stop adjustment nut

Grizzly drill press depth stop adjustment nut

Have the G7948 Grizzly drill press which uses the threaded rod and stop nuts for drill depth control. The dual lock nuts must each traverse the full length of intended depth before locking down. A few other DPs use a spring loaded quick-release type depth stop nut (Delta and Steel City) which is much quicker, and Grizzly offers these nuts but not sized for the G7948, which is M12-1.5 thread.

Trying a shot in the dark, I bought the Delta quick nut without knowing the thread size but luck was not with me, and it (1/2 inch NC) did not fit. Before trying a shot at the Steel City, has anyone found a source for the M12-1.5 quick release nut? Had considered drilling out and tapping the existing hole but I don't think there is adequate difference between the 12mm and 1/2 inch for the new thread depth. I also considered welding the hole closed and then drilling and tapping, but the quill clamp (collar) having the hole, seems to be CI which I don't weld, plus any significant distortion will have me purchasing a new clamp.

Yeah, I could have bought the Delta or Steel City, but....
    Any other ideas or source for a M12-1.5 quick release nut? Or anyone know the stop nut/rod thread size on the Steel City?

Thanks, Chris

I re-did mine last year...I bought a piece of 1/2"x20tpi rod and a couple jam nuts(they are thinner) to fit from McMaster Carr. I also welded up a new stop that does not bend like the flimsy sheet metal one that came with it did.

Here is the stop I used from Enco:

Quill Stop

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barnett View Post
    Have the G7948 Grizzly drill press which uses the threaded rod and stop nuts for drill depth control. The dual lock nuts must each traverse the full length of intended depth before locking down. A few other DPs use a spring loaded quick-release type depth stop nut (Delta and Steel City) which is much quicker, and Grizzly offers these nuts but not sized for the G7948, which is M12-1.5 thread.

Trying a shot in the dark, I bought the Delta quick nut without knowing the thread size but luck was not with me, and it (1/2 inch NC) did not fit. Before trying a shot at the Steel City, has anyone found a source for the M12-1.5 quick release nut? Had considered drilling out and tapping the existing hole but I don't think there is adequate difference between the 12mm and 1/2 inch for the new thread depth. I also considered welding the hole closed and then drilling and tapping, but the quill clamp (collar) having the hole, seems to be CI which I don't weld, plus any significant distortion will have me purchasing a new clamp.

Yeah, I could have bought the Delta or Steel City, but....
    Any other ideas or source for a M12-1.5 quick release nut? Or anyone know the stop nut/rod thread size on the Steel City?

Thanks, Chris

Chris, why not replaced the threaded rod with a piece of 12 X 1.5mm rod and use the quick acting nut you purchased?

Regards, Rod.

Other than the depth stop have you been happy with the G7948?

Have been very satisfied with the G7948, particularly the long stroke, but have used it very little. The larger table will be handy when needing to drill large parts.

The depth stud is already M12-1.5; it is a matching M12-1.5 quick nut that I need. The quick nut I have is 1/2-13.

Ken, that stop would work fine, but they do not say the size, or it eludes me so far. I will look into this further since that is the only solution I see so far. And, good point on the stop....I have some heavy angle that will work just fine. Thanks.
    Last edited by Chris Barnett; 02-17-2009 at 8:19 PM.

Have added photos of the Delta quill stop. Appears it is machined from stainless, and outside is knurled. For less than $4, a great deal, if I can make it work. Have to make it work...too nice to leave in a drawer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have the Steel City drill press. I measured the diameter of the rod to be 11.60mm, so that would be a M12 and the thread rise is 2.00 mm.

You can find the parts in the user manual:

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...520_manual.pdf

page 30, drawing (item 61 & 58)
    page 31 has the part numbers:

58 OR92353 STOP NUT ASSY, INCL REF 59, 60
    59 OR92354 SPRING
    60 OR92355 QUICK RELEASE NUT
    61 OR71515 DEPTH ROD, INCL REF 62
    62 OR92409 DEPTH SCALE

I have a grizzly table top model and I replaced the whole threaded rod with a 1/4X20 rod and installed a nut and a wing nut. Now I can adjust and secure it using no tools at all.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Michael
    That is the size I need..thanks. Will call and hope they will sell that part although I did not buy the SC.
    Can do the 1/4 threaded rod, and a wing nut would be faster, but would need to still move the nut down all the way which takes time.
    I would not worry with this except that I did see the much faster way to set depth with the quick nut.
    Will also check the size for an insert that will accept a 1/2-13 thread. That would solve the size issue of drilling out a 12 mm hole (.48-inches) to the tap drill size (.42-inches), ...it doesn't work, or you're already done, depending on your point of view !
    Of course I could just sell the Grizzly and buy the SC. If the table had not been so small, might have done that. The SC is functionally very smooth.
    It really sucks to have to go to a competetor to your machine to get a part that should have already been provided. It sucks worse when they don't even have the size needed for their own machine as a part.

Chris, why don't you just buy the threaded rod from Delta?
    Maurice

Maurice, the rod is screwed into the quill clamp which has a M12-1.5 thread. I would need to drill out the tapped hole and retap, but there is not sufficient material remaining since the major diameter of the M12 thread is larger than the tap size for 1/2-13 thread.

Ah...well....sorry.
    Maurice

Many thanks Maurice...I had the problem and was asking for help and appreciate any and all inputs. It was a bit confusing so I wanted to make sure you understood the problem and that I didn't ignore your comments, which I did not do.
    I did order the part from SC; hope it fits. If it doesn't, I might just take the pretty stainless quick nut I bought, wheel another drill press under it, and ditch the Grizzly .

Now Chris...don't go throwing away a perfectly good machine!
    Hope the SC part works for you. If so, you may have hit upon a cool retrofit. You say that Delta part is stainless, huh? Man, my 5 year old Delta 17-968 came with a blued steel one. If it does not work for you, I'll buy it from you in order to dress mine up!
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barnett View Post
    Maurice, the rod is screwed into the quill clamp which has a M12-1.5 thread. I would need to drill out the tapped hole and retap, but there is not sufficient material remaining since the major diameter of the M12 thread is larger than the tap size for 1/2-13 thread.
    Not familiar with the quill clamp on your drill, but couldn't you drill it out so you can slide (not thread) in a Delta rod as suggested by Maurice. Use stop nuts on the new rod above and below the quill clamp to hold it in position and forget about re-tapping it.