Have the G7948 Grizzly drill press which uses the threaded rod and stop nuts for drill depth control. The dual lock nuts must each traverse the full length of intended depth before locking down. A few other DPs use a spring loaded quick-release type depth stop nut (Delta and Steel City) which is much quicker, and Grizzly offers these nuts but not sized for the G7948, which is M12-1.5 thread.

Trying a shot in the dark, I bought the Delta quick nut without knowing the thread size but luck was not with me, and it (1/2 inch NC) did not fit. Before trying a shot at the Steel City, has anyone found a source for the M12-1.5 quick release nut? Had considered drilling out and tapping the existing hole but I don't think there is adequate difference between the 12mm and 1/2 inch for the new thread depth. I also considered welding the hole closed and then drilling and tapping, but the quill clamp (collar) having the hole, seems to be CI which I don't weld, plus any significant distortion will have me purchasing a new clamp.

Yeah, I could have bought the Delta or Steel City, but....
Any other ideas or source for a M12-1.5 quick release nut? Or anyone know the stop nut/rod thread size on the Steel City?

Thanks, Chris