Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly drill press depth stop adjustment nut

Perhaps a clamp-on style quill stop would mesh threads enough to stay where you put it. Since it clamps on, the threads wouldn't have to match perfectly.

We actually just got a Delta 20-950 and were not particularly impressed with the fit of the stop nut: it seems a bit sloppy and lacks a real POSITIVE stopping feel.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=58876283

Kevin,
    The thing I've found about the Delta stop nut is that when you depress the button to make fast changes, you need to turn the stop nut until it engages the threads securely. Found this out by making some counter bores that went a bit deep when the stop nut slipped. I started rotating the stop nut until it engaged fully, and haven't had a problem since using that procedure.
    Maurice

I thought I would get you a picture of my set-up (it's a G7947). The stop threads are 1/2x20 LH threads, So the all-thread and nuts are 1/2x20 LH also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ken, that's what I might want to do. I could drill and tap for 1/2-13 (I had mistakenly thought the hole was 1/2 thread for the post) or just drill a clearance hole and use lock nuts like you have done. I received the quick nut from Steel City but the threads are so shallow that they don't engage well, and slips every time on the threaded post. I checked and recheck thread size and confirmed they do match, but the thread on the quick nut looks like the top half or maybe more is gone! I am really curious now to know if other Steel City quick nuts have the same problem. If not, I could have it replaced. If the same would just return if they would accept it back and replace the threaded rod and use the quick nut I have from Delta. I might want to go look at the Delta DP to see if the slippage issue is the nature of the beast since there is a lot of force on the interface. If so, would duplicate your setup since it seems the pressure can be changed.
    Anyway, thanks much for the comments and the photo. Maybe Griz will take the hint and do it better ! (wouldn't it be nice if a tool manufacturer sent out retrofit kits! Now that would be customer service above and beyond...gee, must be dreaming.... but I'm already up .)
    I just reread the above posts and realized what was said about the Delta...must have missed that statement before. So, seems the best action is to stop messing with the quick nuts and drill it out, install rod and buy an adjustible quill stop. But still curious about one item...left hand thread rod and lock nuts! Does the adjustible quill stop also have left hand threads that mate with the rod threads? Thought I had a clear plan, then...whammo! Left hand huh! Thats gonna be fun to find.
    Last edited by Chris Barnett; 03-03-2009 at 9:42 AM.

Chris,
    Sorry for mis-leading you! I don't know why I wrote LH instead of RH, but the quill stop's are indeed 1/2x20 Right Hand threads.

Also, you can do a Google of "Bridgeport quill stop for more info.

Whew...Ken....thought I was in for another hard search. The logic on needing a LH was....well...I was obviously not tuned in.

I then realized though that I had had a 1/2-13 heavy duty die that was left hand that I got many, many years ago and used it as a paper weight on my desk. I have no earthly idea where it is now....probably threw it out since I argued that it would never, never be used. Anyway, great work on your DP. Hope mine turns out as well!
    And thanks so much for posting and clearing up the LH issue. Would have still been scratching my head and wondering.
    Chris

I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but I have been reading posts here and on another one on the topic of Grizzly depth stop adjustments and thought you might be interested in the highlights of a conversation I had with a Grizzly Tech Support person. The name of the other thread is: Drill press depth adjustment