View Poll Results: Which one is the "best"??

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trotec Rayjet

4 16.67%
  • Epilog Zing

8 33.33%
  • Versalaser VLS 2.30

8 33.33%
  • GCC C180

4 16.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The new small lasers?...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zac Altman View Post
    @Rodne: Im not looking to purchase one. I just think there is a lack of input on these systems and it would be great to see everyones thoughts on them.
    I guess I'm a little confused on the point of the thread, then...

They will all typically be decent systems if used for the proper market. If you're not looking at picking up any of these systems, why bother worrying about them? I remember some of your older posts, and your plan of attack still seems unclear to me...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Altman View Post
    Lee: Only recently have these lasers become a standard. I know ULS have had their versalaser line for a a while. In 2008 alone the Zing, Rayjet and C180 all came out...I think this really shows that lasers are becoming somewhat more 'mainstream'...well more people are interested.
    Translation: "It doesn't matter how long something has been around, it's not a 'standard' until someone copies it."
    While that may be true to some extent, try to remember that the copy isn't the standard, the original is.

I agree that "more people are interested", but it looks like what more people are interested in is getting a piece of an existing market, not creating a new one. When the price of lasers starts dropping like the price of computer printers and disc drives did or they start selling them at Best Buy, then we can start using words like "mainstream".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I guess I'm a little confused on the point of the thread, then...
    Back in the late '80s, I worked with a couple of guys who, for no apparent reason, decided I was their personal computer guru. Every couple of days they came up to me to ask which graphics board was better or which monitor was better or is SCSI better than ESDI or how much RAM does it take to...you get the idea. This went on for months (literally), and of course it was at a time when new products were coming out weekly, generating new questions and alternatives. It got so I dreaded going in to work the day after the latest Byte or PC magazine hit the newsstands. Eventually I moved on to a different project and I suppose they latched onto some other poor bugger with their questions, but for all I know neither of them has ever bought a computer to this day.

It dawned on me that the two of them would never have as much fun actually owning or using a computer as they did playing their endless "what if" game in quest of the Perfect System.

I'm not saying that's what's happening here, but you never know.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    endless "what if" game in quest of the Perfect System.
    Kind of like fantasy football.

I'm used to people who have "great ideas" and pick my brain over and over only to do nothing in the end. They often offer to partner up with me but have nothing to contribute themselves besides "the idea".

Cheers,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

I have two Versa Laser 2.3's. Very quick to learn if you have an open mind.