Thread: Pocket holes for table top

Pocket holes for table top

I have been using my Kregg jig to use pocket holes to attach table tops.

I am interested in what my fellow Creekers think of this method of attaching table tops. I am concerned long term about wood movement.

2. Ed,

If you're top is plywood no problem, if it's solid wood you're right to be concerned. You'll need to attach the top in a way that will allow the wood to move with changes in humidity.

There are many options from oversized screw holes to L shaped fasteners that go into an oversized slot.

I've attached a few with pocket screws going back 50 years. Never had a problem. Remember pocket hole joinery is at least 100 years old; probably from the day after the first forstner bit was invented. It's the Kreg system that made it so much easier.
    As for tops, I run them in thru the aprons and back the screws off one turn by hand. But I'm a hobby woodworker; hopefully a production woodworker will chime in here too.

I just did this yesterday with my new assembly/outfeed table but it's 1.5" of MDF and a 3/4 melamine panel so no worries on movement
    Last edited by Blake Barr; 02-18-2009 at 9:34 PM.

I haven't.. wouldn't.. and won't but.. Joe said he has done it for 50 years and that may speak for itself so... go figure what the real answer is? And I was referring to solid wood as I don't do ply... but I assume he was also.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Blog Entries
    I do it if there is a good reason. I prefer the regular methods but when I do use pocket holes I set the screw like normal, then back it off just a bit like Joe. If the top is a wood I expect a lot of movement out of I will back the screw out and drill the through-hole just a bit oversized and then replace the screw. That my be overkill but, it makes me feel better.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If the table will be inside your home for it's life there's a good chance our modern climate control will let you away without any issues, assuming decent and dry wood to start. I have a feeling that if you moved from Georgia to Arizona to Maine you might get some splitting though.

If you use them on the long-grain to long-grain you are better off. In the cross-grain situations I would consider alternatives such as (but not limited to) figure eight clips.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"