Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions about Clear Vue Cyclones?

Opinions about Clear Vue Cyclones?

Finally getting ready for a dedicated shop area! I've been looking at dust collection systems. Its only a small area (14' x 27'). Would like a recommendation on a system. I looked at the Clear Vue and it looked pretty good!? I'm a newbee here! First thread!

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I'm just finishing up my installation, and so far, I LOVE IT !!

It takes a fair amount of assembly, as it is sold n a sort of "kit" from, but then, I guess they all are to some extent. Assembly is pretty easy and straightforward. The manufacturer will always answer the phone and help you out with any problems/concerns you might have.

I did a highly customized installation, with the cyclone & filters in the attic of my shop, and the dust chute and duct work on the main level. I spoke with Ed a few times, just to get his "blessing" on my modifications, and he was VERY patient & helpful. I don't think you'll ever buy a piece of equipment with better customer support/care.

Bob, that sounds like an interesting instillation on your DC. I hope you're planning on sharing some pictures and descriptions. Something like that might work for me.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

other post

I just swithched to an oneida/ sort of from an old wood tek system with a Blue tornado cyclone. look under the other post I have for Oneida.
    its a moodified system in that I pieced it together
    Bill

Jim,
    Welcome to the Creek. Looks like we have a bunch of new members sighing in. The more the merrier.
    David B

Cyclone

I have heard that the clear vue cyclones work well , I almost bought one insteand of the Oneida but the deal was too good to pass on.
    others will comment with more experiance. I have had the Blue tornado cyclone and it served me very well for 5-6 years. the oneida seems just as good in that it seperates well.
    there is one for sale in the classifieds here aat the creek under new tools?

Bill

I have ClearVue and am very happy with its perfomance.
    My Shop is small and laid out in a 1919 farm house basement. I have a deep basement so clearance was not a factor.
    Clearance is the only draw I have heard about, for shops that are vertically challenged.
    Just be sure that the dust bin is sealed air tight to the bottom of the cyclone.
    Last edited by Mark Uhlenkamp; 02-19-2009 at 2:00 PM.
    My Mind is Like an Old Trap, Rusty and Prone to Spring Shut without Notice

I've had mine for almost 4 years now...running for about 2 years. I love it! And Bob's right, you won't find a better business owner than Ed to work with. I had a problem with my first cyclone body, didn't see the problem for a few months because of the shop remodel I was/am in the middle of. We emailed back and forth a couple times on a Sunday, even though I wasn't ecpecting a reply until Monday. He asked for my phone number so we could talk. He wanted to make sure that I was happy with his solution to the problem (he replaced the cyclone body). I was thrilled that someone wanted to take the time and money to make sure that I was properly taken care of, especially on a weekend evening. The system works as described. The customer service won't be beaten by anyone! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I have had my Clear Vue Mini Cyclone about 2 months. At 66, I have bought a lot of stuff over the years. This cyclone is one of the very few things that not only met, but exceeded my expectations. I have attached three photos. I use a 20 gal, 6.5 hp Craftsman shopvac. It will suck the crome off a trailer ball. I first bought a HD 5 gal bucket. It collapsed the sides. I went to a local chemical supply co. Bought a plastic barrel for $10, 3/16" sides. Cut the top off with a hand saw (very carefully, so as to get a good seal.) If my solid geometry is correct, it has about 11 1/2 gal capacity. I cut a round piece of 3/4" MDF, and routed a 1/2" wide by 1/2" deep circle, and put the common peel and stick weatherstripping in it.
    I was having a problem with the hose that goes into the top of the unit crimping. I went to the plumbing section of HD, and got one of those 4 section swivel duct gizmos, split one end into 8 pieces, and screwed it to the top of the cyclone to support the hose.

After an hour or so with my jointer and planer, the barrel will have filled up one or two times. In the shopvac? Nothing, except maybe a very little dust on the filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tom

thats one heck of a small cyclone , great job I have never seen one of those.
    Bill
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-19-2009 at 7:33 PM.

I posted a little earlier with some photos of my mini cyclone. I am embarrased to say that in my haste, I hooked the wrong hose up to my shop vac. So before anybody calls me stupid, I have served notice of my mistake. I heard somewhere once that a person is allowed two mistakes a year. This is my first. Unfortunately, it is early in the year.

I have a CV1400, and am very satisfied. It is sold as a hobbyist cyclone, but I used it in a commercial setting pulling shavings and dust away from a Logosol PH260. It is just barely large enough to use in this setting, but you need to keep in mind that the 260 puts out shavings equivilent to 4 or 5 lunchbox planers. I got mine before they started making the CV1800 or I would have bought one of them.

I have a Clearvue 1400 and couldn't be happier with it. I have a basement shop and it's only about 16 X 22. I purchased the 1400 model because I have low ceilings and this was the only model I could fit under my ceiling. I'm just a hobbiest but it does a great job. It really is head and shoulders above my dads single stage delta. On top of getting great dust collection, I can't give enough praise to Ed for his customer service.

For example, back in April 2007, I purchased the Clearvue CV1400 cyclone. I had just started working on my basement shop and ordered the cyclone. Well having a 4 1/2 yr old and only being a hobbiest woodworker...well one thing led to another and I didn't get around to installing it till June of 2008. Once installed, there was a problem with the motor. It had a short in it.

So, I called Ed at Clearvue to try to get some advice and after going through my wiring connections he agreed that there was a short in the motor. I was expecting at this point that I was going to have to take the motor to a local repair shop. Then Ed said he would have a new motor shipped to me the next day, and I can just send the old one back. Keep in mind the manufacture warranty on the motor was only for 1 year and I was clearly past that!!

Now that is Great Customer Service! Good luck with whatever you purchase.

Ian

I'd recommend you drive down to Pickens, SC and visit Ed and Matt at their shop. I know you'll be impressed! I made the trip from my home 20 miles north of you a year and a half ago and now own a CV1800 and a CV06 Mini. Excellent systems.

Clear Vue

I am a hobbyist with a shop about as big as yours...

I also have asthma so I am pretty serious about the dust collection routine. I could not be more pleased with my Clear Vue. It is head and shoulders above the Delta I had (as it should be... 5 hp vs 1.5HP... hardly a fair test).

I have actually had to close the damper on the main line leading to the table saw because I have an overhead guard (shark guard... another fantastic accessory) and the suction was so great it would lift off the this strips I was cutting if I wasnt careful.

If securing to your floor joists I highly recommend rubber insulation between the pieces (and even rubber grommets for the screws). Made a big difference in sound and vibration in my house.