Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions about Clear Vue Cyclones?

re: customer service

I never post here, but I saw this thread and just had to say something. It's midnight, and I've been trading videos, pictures and e-mails with Ed at Clearvue all night. He's been busting his hump helping me get over a little problem I'm having.

I'd buy 2 of anything the man makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Lankford View Post
    ... I looked at the Clear Vue and it looked pretty good!?...
    Disclaimer: I don't own a ClearVue so I can't speak directly to it. But, it's my understanding that it's built to the Pentz design and I can speak to that. My cyclone is shop-built to the Pentz design from a Pentz kit. It is EXCELLENT! About the only time I see significant dust in the output from the cyclone is when I've been doing a lot of MDF machining. Virtually everything else goes into the chip bin.

As far as ClearVue is concerned, I've bought components from Ed and have nothing but the highest regard for him. I don't know how current prices compare between Ed's products and the others, but as far as cyclone design and service to the customer is concerned, IMO you won't be able to do better.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I never post here, but I saw this thread and just had to say something. It's midnight, and I've been trading videos, pictures and e-mails with Ed at Clearvue all night. He's been busting his hump helping me get over a little problem I'm having.
    What sort of problems are you having, if you don't mind my asking ?? ?? ??

I went with Clear-Vue 1400 in 2005 when the company was getting off the ground. I posted my installation so you can search for it. I am still very happy with it. I just turn it on and smile because my shop is so clean. It does require some work but that was half the fun.
    Charlie Jones

I just got mine installed and up and running about 4 weeks ago. The thing sucks! Does it ever suck! I went with CV for 2 main reasons, it has the best seperation (means not cleaning filters very often) and Ed is the only manufacturer that pays Bill Pentz royalties for all his research.

Many other smaller reason, like more filter area, acrylic lasting longer than metal under these conditions, no rust, light weight enough to lift onto the bracket, 5 HP, American made Leeson motor, steel impeller (the non-sparking thing appears to be a sales gimmick, as the heavy stuff is gone before the impeller), cost to airflow ratio, excellent filters from Wynn, etc.

As far as customer service, you'll never find anyone or any company with better or more personalized service than Ed.

GO FOR IT!

Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    What sort of problems are you having, if you don't mind my asking ?? ?? ??
    We're having trouble actually getting the cyclone to cyclone. I have a lot of material that just spins round and round in the cone. Some goes down, but the material keeps building up. There's something wrong somewhere and we're trying to determine if I'm sealing things up improperly or if there's something subtly wrong with the cyclone itself.

I have another test to run today. I'm going to get it plumbed up to the table saw and fill the dust bin, then check how much dust I end up with in the filters.

Ed's really been great throughout the whole thing. The first one came demolished courtesy of UPS, and he sent a new one right out, along with a return sticker for the old one. Then he's spent many hours helping me figure out what's up. I'm sure it's something stupid, and once we find it we're going to slap our heads.

Success!!

Stupid Assumption: the cyclone will work properly with the intake wide open.

Before running all the piping, I figured that I'd give it a try with tossing some sawdust into the intake chute. Ed thought this would work as well.

Reality: The airflow is simply too great with 0 pipe attached. Also, the dust never really has a chance to accelerate. This causes the dust to not actually get into the bin in the first place, and then the ridiculous airflow messes up the vortex enough to not allow it to ever go down.

Ed suggested that I run a quick test with some flex hose and one of my tools. I ran my planer and thickness sander through 10' of 4" flex hose to the intake. The thing works GREAT.

Ed's filed this away in his memory banks in case another customer gets the bright idea to try something like this.

On the plus side, my garbage can sealing skills have come quite a long way, considering how many times I rebuilt the thing looking for leaks. I can get one of these things together in about 15 minutes now

Ed was an absolute gentleman throughout the whole thing, and I couldn't be happier with the cyclone.

The end

I have a 16 x 26 hobby workshop.

I purchased the ClearVue about 18 months ago. It has worked great, excellent product. The service was awesome, I would not hesitate to buy from them again.

I have mine setup with little wireless remotes, mounted around the shop, works like a charm.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    SNIP
    Ed was an absolute gentleman throughout the whole thing, and I couldn't be happier with the cyclone.

The end
    And that is the recurring sentiment from all who have delt with Ed. Me included. He WILL do what ever is necessary to make the situation right and the customer happy. Period. And the product is outstanding. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

11. Another clear vue owner.
    Love it. The clear plastic cyclone is a great advantage, because you can tell when the trash bin is about to fill up (the dust doesn't fall as normal).

If your cyclone get too full, I've read it's a disaster, as dust can get blown through the filters and possibly puncture them (or at bare minimum requiring a good cleaning).

I planed a bunch of basswood. I was taking aggressive cuts and getting long shavings.. They ended up clogging the bottom of the cyclone funnel, but since the cyclone was clear, I was able to see it before disaster struck.