Thread: Come and cut it up!

Come and cut it up!

Okay, I was just in my shop, cleaning up (I let it get a little messy over the last month or so). One of my challenges is where to store all (about 6 or so) chunks of wood that I have. Some of you may have seen my posts about the chunks I've accuired recently. So, I got one step further towards finding a storage place for them today. I made a multi-radius circle cutting jig for my band saw about an hour ago and it works great. Now all I have to do is cut up these chunks into managable pieces, rough cut them into circles, and seal them. That way, when I'm ready to turn them, I don't have to go digging them out one by one. Not to mention...I DON'T HAVE ROOM FOR THEIR ODD SHAPPED CHUNKINESS!!!!!!

So, anyone in the Frederick/Hagerstown, MD area (or further away if you don't mind driving...) want to come by and cut these up with me? It would be a great learning experience for me, but I'll also take you to lunch at the local diner or a pub type place. You can even have some of what we cut up. I'm sure I'll get more in the future, so I doubt I'd get stingy with it.

One Creeker came by a month or so ago and we chatted up some of the weeping cherry. Cut a piece off and I insisted he take it home. Joe, I'd love to have you back out. This is certainly open to you again.

Please, let me learn from your experiences. You CAN'T mess up...I wouldn't know the difference.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Hey Mike,

I'll come out and help if you like. Only about an hour away so it's no problem there.

Just send me a note and we can put a date and time together.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Thanks, Tony. PM sent.

Hey, not to belittle Tony coming over, but if anyone else wants to come, too, I open to it. Either at a different time or same as far as I'm concerned. This would also help with that "everyone has a different view" answer I keep getting when I ask how would you cut up this chunk.

Anyway, the invitation is open, but Tony, thanks a million. Even if you are the only one to come, it will be priceless knowledge.
    I drink, therefore I am.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU TONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, thanks a million! Did I say thank you yet?

Well, Tony schlepped over yesterday and we cut up a bunch. Unfortunately, between jabbering jaws, the need to still do some farm duties, and the need to be quiet (couldn't run the chainsaw because my wife was on work calls), we didn't get it all cut up. But we got a lot done. I will start another thread on the specifics of what we cut up, but here is the pile that I MADE Tony take home. Seriously, it was like pulling teeth to get him to take anything...he wanted me to keep it all. BTW, his take included Oak Burl, Cherry Crotch, Spalted White Oak, and some really cool Dogwood. I think he got some of the Bradford Pear, too.

Also, what a class act! Tony, you're a great guy. I keep getting more and more impressed with every member of the Creek I meet. I thought I got lucky with the first few, but nope...just really good guys here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I drink, therefore I am.

You are quite welcome Mike. Like I told you yesterday, it's not work to me at all, it's just a part of the passion of turning.

Thanks to you and your wife for making me feel quite at home and welcome to be there.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Well, you WERE welcome. I got all those pics on my computer. I just finished labeling all of them. That took some time...a lot of it starts to look the same after a while.

Oh, and I figured out what was up with my DC...

I hope you show us what you turn out of what you took home.

Let me tell ya, I don't look at a log the same way anymore.

Thanks for showing me how to see into a log better. Yeah, I know you dont' know what you'll find til you get in there, but seeing how to cut it up gives perspective. Not just how to cut up any old log, but seeing it done on the pieces I had really made a difference.
    I drink, therefore I am.