Thread: A couple turkey calls

A couple turkey calls

As a new woodturner, I've found a way to combine my passions for woodworking and turkey hunting by making friction turkey calls. My first several calls were one big experiment to get them to sound right. I've got the sound right now and am focusing on looks.

The first one is a cocobolo pot with a copper calling surface. There is a padauk soundboard inside the call as well.

The second one is a laminated pot I made with some curly bubinga and padauk. It has a glass calling surface with a padauk soundboard.

Critiques welcome. I know, I know...The pictures aren't good. The flash really made the holes in the cocobolo call look bad.

I started doing this just to make calls for myself and a few friends. Now I'm really thinking that I'd like to start making custom calls for people. Danged vortex!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice looking calls. When people take a bird using one of your calls it is a good feeling. I've had people call me from all over the USA, on their way home with a bird just to tell me my call helped in their quest.
    Jack

Nice work Aaron! Hope you are able to sell all that you turn!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great work on some good looking calls. Good luck.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Good luck with the sales. As long as they sound good I am sure you will find customers.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Aaron:

Your calls look great! I have been making duck and deer calls for a few years for friends and hunting buddies. I used to make turkey calls when I was a flat work woodworker. I have changed my ways.
    This past year I made the mistake of making a call for my barber. I have had every hunter that gets a hair cut there, call me asking about making them a call.

All the best.

Don

The calls look great. Where can I find the slate and other surface materials for sale?

Stan,
    You can find about anything you need at this site. I buy all my slate directly from Penn Big Bed Slate. You can google it and find them. I also buy glass and crystal from a guy that goes by stumpy on that site. You can find a lot of call makers on the site willing to help you.
    Jack
    http://www.customcalls.com/