Thread: Advice on first chuck

Advice on first chuck

Hi to all,

Im looking to by my first chuck. I am looking at a the baracuda 2 T/N at Penn State. This looks like a good deal with the included small flat jaws. Any advice would be apreciated. I have only turned pens, and looking to start on some small bowls and stuff.

Thanks Scott

Scott,
    I took a different approach.

I just asked what the best chuck was and bought what the Creekers recommended without shopping. This way the price was not an issue BC I didn't have anything to compare it to.

I wound up with the SN2.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

I highly recommend the Barracuda 2. The value is pretty much unbeatable because of all the jaws it includes, I switch jaws far more often than I ever imagined, and it's really nice to have the proper size for the job at hand. I'm not trying to push the limits of a really small tenon on standard size jaws because I can just put on larger jaws and work safer.
    Instead of buying the titanium version, I bought the standard one and added the large 8" flat jaws. I didn't think I'd find a lot of use for the 5" flat jaws. I have used them, but almost always find it faster to just pad the jaws that are on the chuck with a paper towel and use the tailstock for jamb chucking while finishing instead of changing jaws.
    I also use separate MT2 PSI super(steb) centers, as I like to be able to work in very tight to the center on spindles and so the chuck mounted center would only have found mild use. It's plenty fast to spin the chuck off and put in a MT2 center.
    I use the screw center for most of my bowls, it works quite well, though you have to be careful of how it is gripped in the chuck to make sure it's secure.
    I did leave a piece of wet eucalyptus on the lathe over a long weekend by accident, which made some surface rust on the large jaws and one set of screws (they give you two), but hasn't affected function at all. I'm not sure if the titanium would have avoided that, but it was a stupid mistake to make in the first place.

Titanium or not, it's a good versatile chuck and lets you save cash for other necessary tools.

I'm with Scott. I have the same chuck and highly recommend it. I also believe it's on sale now.
    My money talks to me... It says Good Bye.