Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jet 1642 VS NOVA 1624-44 Wood Lathe

So is the 2 horsepower version of the Jet really worth $400 over the 1.5 horsepower version??

I personally have the Nova DVR. It is in the same price range as the jet 1642 and in many ways I like it better then the Jet. The Nova DVR has some unique features. It can be used with 220 or 110v. At 110 it is 1.75HP. at 220 they say it is 2hp but when you dig into the manual it is really 2.3HP on 220V. It has the option of a swing away bed segment that gives you a longer bed then the Jet but can fold up behind the lathe so it does not interfere with anything. It also has a unique feature that can be programed is if you have a bad catch it will shut the machine off. Real nice feature for a newby. It will keep from slinging that chisel across the room. It has a rotating head stock with an optional outrigger that is nice for larger pieces and keeps the same compact footprint. They are also very smooth running lathe. Far as stands go you can go as mild or wild as you want. I built a very heavy and stable stand for mine the entire setup weights a lot more than a 1642 and is more stable than a 1642. Of course you have to build the stand but for me it was the right choice because I needed a compact footprint with good capacity. Here is a thread I started on mine. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99001

I Personally have used the Jet, PM3520, and the DVR. I am still very happy and satisfied with my decision.

Good Luck

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Trout; 02-20-2009 at 7:53 AM. Reason: text correction

Rick,
    It's a toss-up. Have never seen any complaints from folks with the 1.5 Jet, and/but I believe (just one person's opinion) it was offered for folks who could not provide 220v service for the 2. And it's a $$ and emotional thing. If you get the 2, you will never have to wonder if you shouldagot the 2 instead of the 1.5. That was the basis of my decision a few years ago when I had more $$. Today I would seriously consider the 1.5, as the $$ are fewer and farther between. How about some opinions from the 1.5 owners out there.
    Richard in Wimberley

How about some opinions from the 1.5 owners out there.
    i really like it, i moved up from a 3/4 horsepower so the difference from 1.5 to 2 hp was not a big deal, 3/4 to 1.5 is a big deal, also the low speed for out of round blanks is important

the ability to move the speed slightly up or down to get rid of vibration is good but i had that with the 3/4, evs over reeves drive is great, and i have not had this lathe in shop

i like the 42 inch bed because i use elbo tool for hollow forms mostly

i followed directions and ballasted the jet 1.5 with 250 lbs of sand, covered in plastic which shavings are easy to sweep off and still have room to use the tool basket

i am trying to get up the courage to use outboard turning stand
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 02-20-2009 at 5:24 AM.

My 2 cents.

I bought a Nova 1624 last April and cant find a bad thing to say about it. The only time it ever danced around with me was when I had a really large blank and it was really out of ballance. If you can cut your larger blanks on a band saw and center them real good you shouldn't have any problems. Changing speeds by moving the belt is super easy, but a few time with really large pieces I have found the one speed may be a little too slow while the next is too fast. You will also have to learn through experience how fast you can turn any given blank before starting since you can't increase your speed gradually untill your at a comfortable RPM. If I were going to do it all over again I would have given more consideration to the Jet.

GT

A word about motors. When I first started woodworking, I read everything I could find about machines. One common thread was that any motor, 1 hp and above runs better on 220 current. I did have a couple of my machines rewired, and they did work better. I can't pinpoint exactly what is better, but there was improvement. Variable speed is a feature that I will not be without again. While changing belts isn't too much of a problem, it is a convenience, unless you do production work. Then it is a necessity, it saves time. Looking back, there were a lot of times when I would turn some thing at a higher speed than I should have because of the inconvenience of changing the belt. Some times I was turning too slow for the same reason. As far as needing a longer bed, if you ever need to turn a table leg (I assume you do some flat work) then you need the extra length. The sliding headstock on the Jet gives you a bowl lathe and a spindle lathe. There is never any reason to bend over to turn as long as your lathe is at the proper height. The rotating headstock does a similar thing, but not as well. I never liked the idea of an extended banjo.
    robo hippy

I am fairly new to woodturning (less than a year) and I have the Nova 1624. My old lathe was an old jet (early 80's) when I did only flat work. So far I have not had a problem with my Nova "walking" with no additonal weight added. You can also purchase the bed extension to make it 44". The thing I like best is the headstock being moveable. I have only made bowls and always adjujst it out to the 22.5 degree or better angle from the bed. This gives you lots of room to work with the inside of the bowl without leaning across the lathe. I usually start about 800rpm and only round my blanks with a chain saw. The first few times changing the belt was clumsy (my short pudgy fingers?) but now it takes less than a minute. I am not familiar with the Jet but all things equal it would seem to be a question of variable speed (jet) or rotating headstock (Nova).
    Mike
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I amy be wrong but..

Are we talking apples and oranges?
    I have the Nova 1624-44. (belt drive)
    I tried to find a Jet 1642 (online and did not find one) that DID NOT have variable speed.
    At Woodcraft the Nova 1624-44 is 1,199; the Jet 1642 is 2199.00
    Maybe Jet makes a 1642 that does not have variable speed?
    The Nova DVR XP (variable speed) at Woodcraft is 2199.00 exactly the same as the Jet.
    My Nova 1624-44 was rated by Fine Wood Working Mag as the best buy in its class. That class is not variable speed!
    So...maybe there is a Jet 1642 belt drive that I did not fine.
    When you go from belt to variable add $1,000.
    Yeah they say 20 seconds to change the belt speed...with short, clumsy, pudgy fingers add 1 minute 40 seconds. Still not bad for $1000.
    Do you want to compare the Nova DVR XP and the Jet 1642 EVS
    If so then it seems the question is..
    Pay $150 to have a welder build a base for the Nova ( if you can't do it) and have the advantage of swivel head stock. I use mine every time on my Nova 1642-44 for bowl hollowing. Watch any videos on leaning over the bed to hollow a bowl to see why. The "24" can also be extended to 44".
    Mike
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Rick, I have the 1624-44 with outboard rest and have done some large out of round pieces. I keep talking about adding a little ballast but most of the time my blanks are under 16" and I round them on the band saw first.
    I use the McNaughton bowl saver and it would be nice to have a little more HP. No doubt about it VS would be nice. I'm sure the Jet would be fine but like someone mentioned it is a lot more money.
    I set a price I wanted to spend for the features I wanted and the Nova has been great. I turn for fun but if I was thinking business, I would be looking at Powermatic, Oneway or that new Robust!
    What ever you decide, remember the lathe is only the beginning! The "VORTEX" will pull you in!! Good Luck, Skip

good point mike, i got rid of my nova because i was able to sell it for more than i bought my used jet 1642 for, pretty sweet if you ask me, but if i was at woodcraft, i dont think i would pay the extra $1000 bucks for the jet, there are just too many other things i could spend the cash on.

The Nova 1624 is what I recommend as a starter lathe instead of one of the little ones. I had a little one and was bored in about 2 months. I'm having a lot of fun with the Nova. I have it well set up with chucks, rests, centers, vacuum chuck, and more and it does all I currently want to do. I'm building a captured hollowing tool and planning to add a threading attachment. Turning is not my main woodworking interest and this lathe gives me all I need at a low cost. The Nova comes with a stand that is far heavier than most people realize. The top part is heavy cast iron and the legs are steel tubes about 2 inches square with screwed leveling feet. If you want to add shelves or ballast or whatever it would be simple to drill and tap the legs. I have a 20 inch extension for mine which takes me to 44 inches but I've been playing with mounting the extension on my workbench and moving the lathe so I can turn any length - I want to try 8 feet. It's just a matter of alignment - I'm using a laser. To have fun with my lathe I spent 1000 for the lathe and another 1500 or so for accesories and tools. A lathe is no fun by itself.

You don't have to lean over the bed with a Jet 1642. Just slide the headstock down towards the tailstock end of the bed and remove the tailstock. You now have a bowl lathe.
    I consider the controls on the Jet more convenient than the DVR (just my opinion).

I love working at my Jet.

When I went shopping for a lathe, I considered the Nova and the Jet.
    I am another happy owner of the Jet 1642. Mine is the 2hp version. I've been turning for 5 years and done some larger bowls, but only one tested the 16-inch swing limitation. There are not many pieces of wood that big. The 42 inch bed gives plenty of room for any spindle work. My two favorite features are ELECTRONIC VARIABLE SPEED and REVERSIBLE. Most folks I know recommend turning in reverse for sanding. My wife asked if I felt the need to upgrade this lathe. The next step up is the Powermatic 3520 and it has the same 2hp motor I have now.

This was my first lathe and I don't think I will grow out of it. About 2 years ago, I picked up a Jet 1014VS mini lathe, which is fun for small projects and portable. This gives me a big powerful lathe for bowls and long spindles and the small lathe for lidded boxes and other small stuff.
    Fred

"Precision woodscraps"

I think Mr. Mills is correct. We are discussing lathes with a $1000 difference. So the only question is, is EVS worth $1000 to you. It would be for me if money was easy. I would have to assume money is easy enough to add all the chucks and tools also. I've bought some nice chucks and a few more tools and still. Haven't spent that extra $1000. But again, if I had the money, I'd have gone for EVS, but if I had the money, it would be a oneway or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cicciarelli View Post
    That is a question...does the Nova tend to 'walk' more than the Jet? Seems like the stand on the Nova is a bit less sturdy than the Jet.....
    Two or three bags of sand will curb a lot of walking.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO