Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Burl Top - Should I add an Inlay?

Tim,
    Most of the others have covered what I may have written but I will caution you about using ebonized wood that if the darkening does not go all the way through the inlay you will cry when you flush it and realize the maple shows through. For a project this size you are better off using real ebony and using scarf joints to make the strips seem continuous. This way you will not have to go out and buy long piece of ebony and it will be cheaper then you think, fast, and look better than the maple will.

my.02

read this:
    http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_tab...276706,00.html
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Blog Entries
    Most of the others have covered what I may have written but I will caution you about using ebonized wood that if the darkening does not go all the way through the inlay you will cry when you flush it and realize the maple shows through. For a project this size you are better off using real ebony and using scarf joints to make the strips seem continuous. This way you will not have to go out and buy long piece of ebony and it will be cheaper then you think, fast, and look better than the maple will.
    Dewey,

I actually realized that this morning when I was going to trim up one of the inlays I made. I am going to pick up some ebony to avoid just what you describe.

Thanks.

also, maybe just to keep the corners tight when you put it all together you can put some splines on each corner. that will keep the corners from shifting as much during seasons.

Just my opinion.

Tim,
    One request if I may...
    please come back with pics!
    Dewey

Blog Entries
    Tim,
    One request if I may...
    please come back with pics
    Will do once its finished.

also, maybe just to keep the corners tight when you put it all together you can put some splines on each corner. that will keep the corners from shifting as much during seasons.
    I used dominos to add extra strength to the corners.

I was hoping to have the inlay examples complete over the weekend, but I had a bit of an issue acquiring ebony.

Blog Entries
    Sorry for all the updates, but I scrapped the laminate inlay idea and am just going with a simple inlay around the burl, consisting soley of African Blackwood. I went back to Hibdon today and really liked the subtle grain and the rich blackness of it. Mixing any sort of light wood with the burl just was too much, so the african blackwood inlay will accomplish exactly what I had hoped for.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Tim,
    I think that is an excellent choice and yes it will look every bit as good as the ebony.
    Dewey

Blog Entries
    Tim,
    I think that is an excellent choice and yes it will look every bit as good as the ebony.
    I also picked up a piece of ebony and I actually like the african blackwood better for this application. My goodness, both woods are expensive.

Nothing I could add here as I just recently made a rookie attempt with my first pair of boxes in over 30 years of building other than.. hope to see it when you get it finished.

Sarge..

Tim,
    Be sure to post follow up pictures. I believe you will have an amazing top for the humidor. Just for future reference. I have bought a billet of ebony from http://www.anexotichardwood.com/index.html. They sold it by the lb and it is much cheaper that way. You do have to resaw it and cut inot useable pieces, but I have been cutting on that piece for trim and inlays for 2 years. A billet goes a long way.

Jim

Blog Entries

The inlay is complete!!!

The inlay has been completed. I added a 1/4" strip of African Blackwood around the perimeter of the burl. I think it looks fantastic. Here is a picture of the top wiped down with water.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great Tim! The inlay frames the burl and really showcases it without being the center of attention. I really like it. You did a very nice job. I have a lifelong friend who is a cigar smoker. I need to make one of those for him.

Jim

Tim,
    It sure did turn out very nice. Congrats!
    Dewey

Very nice! I agree with Jim, the inlay sets the burl apart without distracting or detracting from it.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Superb!! Having seen the dark inlay, I agree the lighter color would have distracted from the burl. Well done!