Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mahogany sofa table

Mahogany sofa table

I made this a couple of months ago. It's African Mahogany. Transtint, then BLO, then gloss alkyd varnish, then rubbed down w/ pastewax and 0000 wool. The top was grainfilled with rottenstone/BLO slurry.

Don't look too hard at the top, because I made a host of mistakes, including gouging the top when flushrouting the inlays, and a couple of wrinkles when varnishing. Some day I'll plane it down and redo it.

The joinery is basic (dowels via Dowelmax. Too easy).

It's a very basic piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 02-20-2009 at 11:20 PM.

Shawn, you may think it is a basic piece, with mistakes, but I think it is beautiful. Sometimes simple is the best way to go

Brian
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

African Mahogany is a great wood.

I would not have sweat the grain fill so much. I like the Dutchmans on the top... nice touch!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Beautiful wood, beautiful design, beautifully done. Love the butterfly inlays...outstanding job Shawn!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Shawn, the color turned out great, and I, too, really like the Dutchman butterflies on top - what wood are they? Appears to be darker (which I like.)

Overall, really well done - great balance and proportion.

Blog Entries
    Shawn
    Beautiful piece....love the butterflies! What type of wood are they?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Very nice piece, Shawn. If there are mistakes on top these old eyes don't see them in the picture. You know doesn't necessarily mean everyone else notices. I re-stipled a ceiling in my bedroom back in 1990 after a tree came to visit during an ice storm.

You cannont ever match a stipler exactly and it is apparent if you look closely and scrutinize. That was 19 years ago and nobody has noticed yet or if they have.. they haven't mentioned it.

Sarge..

Thanks, All. The inlays are from scrap cherry.

Very nice work, Shawn!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Glad to see somebody is as hard on themselves as I am on myself. The table looks fantastic, don't sweat the "mistakes", they are character and nobody will notice them.

What a beautiful design and beautiful craftsmanship. You are too modest. You can be very proud of this piece.

Shawn,
    What I have picked up from the great group of people in this forum is that the charicter that is found in a hand krafted peice is what sets it aside from the cookie cutter junk that is being massed produced in every store you walk into. The table looks great.

Well done! The design is simple, yet effective and the tone of the African Mahogany is beautiful. The drawer pulls however look like they don't go with the piece. What made you choose them?

Ditto on the Dutchmans. Beautiful piece!

I love that table, Well done