Thread: A small gloat

A small gloat

I know what I'm about to write might get me in trouble with GLOAT purist, that is I wasn't able to find a mint 12" Powermatic jointer, that I was able to trade the guy a can of magic beans for or anything like that. However I did buy a new Jet 22-44 oscillating drum sander today for $1700 + I got a free pair of 50" Jet Kbody style clamps & a mobile base via mail in rebate. $1700 is still a lot of dough, but at only $112 more than a 22-44 Plus ($1588) it was worth the upgrade. Also I took in a cherry raised panel door to run through the demo machine to see how it did on cross grain scratches. With 80 grit paper on the machine it left some pretty light cross grain scratching. I believe with a finer grit 120-180 the scratches would disappear. Even with the 80 grit a quick pass with the ROS would clean it up quickly. Long story short, it left a much nicer finish with the oscillation on than when I tried it with it turned off.

Loren

Blog Entries
    I'm happy that you posted this. I would love a Drum Sander Would you say the the oscillating mode is worth the extra $$$? The 'plus' model can be purchased for about $1400 right now.

Enjoy the drum sander.

I'll tell you what Tim, I'll trade you a full review for some of your newly acquired Mahogany. Just kidding! I would say it is absolutely worth the extra $ for the oscillating. The finish left by it with the oscillation turned off leaves some very deep strait line scratches. Although I'd say that the drum sanders without the oscillating feature may get cheaper if the oscillating becomes the bulk of what they sell. I think I'll use it a lot to clean up slight misalignments in cross grain situations such as doors and face frames.

Loren

Congrats on the purchase. I have only one question. Where did you get it?

I purchased it at Bloomington Woodworkers shop / Millworks in Bloomington IL (they had an open house this weekend)

Loren