Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to expect from a Festool 150/3

Just remember any vac works fine with these sanders all it has to do is suck. I use an old hose from a Porter-Cable ROS hooks up to the sander and domino great, so if all you have is an old shop vac don't worry it will work well. I wasn't overly impressed with the little bag that attaches to the sander it was Ok but a vac is much better.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Well, I just ordered the 150/3 & abrasives. The "vac" will have to come later, but it is certainly on my list. Thank you all for your experiences and advice.
    Enjoy the new sander. You won't be dissappointed. I do however, suggest that you at least use a shop vac when sanding because the dust collection is really what sets Festool apart from other sanders on the market.

used to have a dewalt ros upgraded to a bosch much nicer upgraded to a 125 big upgrade just upgraded to a 150/3 big difference my go to sander

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McCormick View Post
    I own a 150/3 and a 150/5. I use the 150 5 way more than the 3. I found the 3 to slow to sand. The 5 sands at a good pace and leaves a great finish itself.
    I'll probably buy the 150/5 on the next major purchase. Does anyone know how the 150/5 compares to the Rotex on "fast removal" setting?

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Sayre View Post
    I'll probably buy the 150/5 on the next major purchase. Does anyone know how the 150/5 compares to the Rotex on "fast removal" setting?

Eric
    I have a Rotex and a 150/3. The Rotex in rotary mode is super agressive, removes material easily as fast as a belt sander, I I think maybe even faster. You have to hold it with both hands in this mode. I don't remember the orbit size on the Rotex in orbital mode, I think it's 5mm. If I need to remove a lot of stock I'll use the rotary mode and the Rotex. Once flat I'll switch it to orbital with the same grit. I normally either start with the 150/3 and only use it, or switch to it quickly because it's soo much nicer to use.

I also upgraded from the Dewalt 5" to a Rotex and 150/3. The 150/3, as others have pointed out, is not as aggressive as the 150/5 but it is my go-to sander most of the time. One thing that you will want to consider is the prohect size you typically do. The 150/3 is pretty big and can be combersome for smaller projects. If your work is on the smaller side takr a look at the 125/3.

My older model 150E plus Festool has both rotary mode and a 5mm ROS mode. Though more aggressive than the 150/3, the finish is nonetheless impressive on fine work.

I had a lot of experience with rotary sanders. Using an old Sioux grinder to do about a dozen car restorations. For doing woodworking, any model Festool will impress you because of:

a) quality of finish
    b) savings in sandpaper because of the dust collection
    c) minimal vibration - thus easier on the body.

Gary Curtis

Actually, I would disagree just a little bit on this.

With the Festool sanders and the finer grits, you'll want a vacuum that will allow you to reduce the suction. I have several Festool sanders and they tend to "stick" to the work if the suction is on full power.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas S Stockton View Post
    Just remember any vac works fine with these sanders all it has to do is suck. I use an old hose from a Porter-Cable ROS hooks up to the sander and domino great, so if all you have is an old shop vac don't worry it will work well. I wasn't overly impressed with the little bag that attaches to the sander it was Ok but a vac is much better.
    Tom