Thread: could this be a wood gloat?

could this be a wood gloat?

I was just given over 60 full 2x3x85" fir boards as well as 80 3/4x3x8' fir and 24 3/4x3x24 fir thats over 200 board feet of 2x3 's alone. as luck would have it the 2x3's are a little over 2" thick so I can resaw on the table saw and get 1" thick boards.

I ask the question "could this be a wood gloat" because its all fir (at least I'm pretty sure its fir" and frankly I'm not sure what to do with it other than building some things for the shop. its fairly straight and has very few nots.

It was free though. can't pass up free wood. What would you do with it?firwood.jpg

all of it isn't in the picture.

Keith, anytime the words "wood" and "free" are in the same sentence it qualifies as a gloat

On the type of wood, can you take a pic face on? Looks like white pine to me, but it is really hard to tell from the pic you posted.

What John said.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Keith, anytime the words "wood" and "free" are in the same sentence it qualifies as a gloat

On the type of wood, can you take a pic face on? Looks like white pine to me, but it is really hard to tell from the pic you posted.
    picture coming up. I have to go to the shop.

Blog Entries
    Free is the key word. Even if you can't make fine furniture with it, it will be great to use for shop storage, painted kids play furniture, mock-ups, etc. Nice gloat.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post

her are two pictures of the same piece with different light. I shaved off the outside of the face. It looks pretty nice and now I don't think it is fir either. I thought it was fir because of the outer color but it looks different when cut.

firsample2.jpg

fir sample1.jpg

Workbench!

Keith, That sounds like one hell of a start to a hardcore workbench. You can laminate all of those things up and have a tremendously strong 3" thick top. Not bad!!!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Only fir I know is Douglas Fir and that doesn't look like it.

However all the wood looks nice and straight, which is better than the BORG will give you, so even if it is common lumber, it is a great deal. Can make a fine secondary wood and maybe some plain old pine furniture.

NOT reddish-brown enough to be fir. And, fir has its own peculiar smell! If you have worked with fir you KNOW it! Same as white and yellow pine and red cedar have their own scents. This wood looks more like white pine or maybe spruce than fir--IF its a softwood! If not, soft maple?? I'm not up on my softwoods! Imma Ozark hardwood kinda feller! Congratulations on your FREE wood though!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 02-22-2009 at 5:26 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    NOT reddish-brown enough to be fir. And, fir has its own peculiar smell! If you have worked with fir you KNOW it! Same as white and yellow pine and red cedar have their own scents. This wood looks more like white pine or maybe spruce than fir--IF its a softwood! If not, soft maple?? I'm not up on my softwoods! Imma Ozark hardwood kinda feller! Congratulations on your FREE wood though!
    its soft like pine and now that I've cut more of it it looks similar to white pine but seems to have a straighter grain. the more of it I cut the better it seems to look.

I'm going to post some better pictures of it tomorrow.