Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I actually made a piece of furniture.....

I actually made a piece of furniture.....

I have made boxes, cutting boards, so outdoor chairs and a few other things and now I have made a real piece of furniture.

I do not have a lot of stereo equipment and didn't want a big entrainment center. I also wanted it to match the tables I and bought a few years ago.

I used red oak for it and looking back that was the wrong wood to use, the grain just did not match the gain of the ones I have. Its not a big deal, the other are across the room so its not like a sore thumb sticking out.

All joints are doweled with the DowelMax, even each of the square post. I mainly put the dowel in the post for aliment at glue up time, just didn't know any other way to keep the lined up. The top is not attached at all, there are just 4 small blocks under it on each side to keep it centered.

And use the speakers don't match the table but they are going to be replace in the near future.

P2227748.jpg P2227752-2.jpg

And a nice looking piece of furniture it is too Bill! Nicely done! I need to do the same thing.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Great looking entertainment center Bill.

Everything looks nice and tidy...

And congrats on the first piece of real furniture.
    Looking forward to the next.

Great looking piece Bill, I like the design and Red Oak is one of my favorite woods to work with. What finish did you use?

Very nice Bill. There's nothing like building your own furniture.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Bill, I think you did a fabulous job! I can't wait to see your forthcoming pieces!

can't imagine trying to cut all those mortise and tenon joints by hand good job, bill!

Nice job Bill. What finish did you use?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thank you ALL for your comments, it makes you feel really go to get comments like that and makes you want to keep building.

I am planning and drawing and planning and drawing some more on a blanket chest, that's what the wife wants. If I get started now I may be able to get it done my Christmas.

Thanks again to All...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Greathouse View Post
    Great looking piece Bill, I like the design and Red Oak is one of my favorite woods to work with. What finish did you use?
    I used General Finishes, Arm-R-Seal, Semi-Gloss, 3 or 4 coats.

I work with Red Oak some but the grain is so open and I like a tighter grain wood.

Bill, it may not match what you have, but I think the red oak looks great, and I really like the style. Great idea leaving the top unattached. Makes it so much easier to fool with the components, wires, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    can't imagine trying to cut all those mortise and tenon joints by hand good job, bill!
    And, that is why Bill has a Dowel Max and we have Domino's Frank

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Bill, it may not match what you have, but I think the red oak looks great, and I really like the style. Great idea leaving the top unattached. Makes it so much easier to fool with the components, wires, etc.

And, that is why Bill has a Dowel Max and we have Domino's Frank
    Thanks John, I do have a question I don't want to start anything and I am just asking. How small of a tenon will a Domino drill, can you control how wide of a slot it makes?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Thanks John, I do have a question I don't want to start anything and I am just asking. How small of a tenon will a Domino drill, can you control how wide of a slot it makes?
    Is this one of those "how many chuck would a woodchuck chuck...if a woodchuck could chuck wood" questions?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Is this one of those "how many chuck would a woodchuck chuck...if a woodchuck could chuck wood" questions?

But can a woodchuck chuck wood like a Domino can, so can I just get a woodchuck and do all my tenons with it?
    Can I get a woodchuck on Amazon?
    And then were do you connect the dust collector hose (or do I want to know)

Congratulations Bill. You did a super job. Don't worry about the wood not matching. In our house we have a lot of oak furniture and very few pieces match. It's not unusual.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps