Thread: Flip top planer stand

Flip top planer stand

I've been working on this project the last week. I had the planer on one of the workbenches and needed space for assembly. Having 1/2 of a 2 car garage, space is at a premium. Made from jointed and planed cedar 2x4s for the case and doubled 3/4" birch ply for the top, it slides right under the bench.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Nice!

...especially considering that I have the same planer and want to conserve space.

What did you use for your pivot?

Thanks Alan.
    I used 3/8" aluminum rod that I had around. I used the router table to make slots in the top halves with a round nose bit. With the halves together, they made round holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Well done

Very nice, Took me a minute to realize that the planer is attached to it and the whole top rotates.

how do you like that planer? I used either that exact one, or a model very similar to it quite a bit working last summer. We converted a small bedroom into a HUGE closet, with a lot of built in cabinetry and shelving, all built to match 3 antique bedroom pieces. talk about LOTS of planing Oak for that project.

once again, brilliant design for your stand/storage device.

Thanks Jacob. I like the planer, as do many others here. It really is a nice machine. I got it when the price was still low. $500

you're own design?

Hi Myk,
    I haven't researched flip tops yet but am thinking I should make one, possibly for my planer and another benchtop tool (one on top, other on bottom). How did you develop your design?