Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drill press depth adjustment

Drill press depth adjustment

I have a drill press that allows you to control the depth with an adjustable screw on the side:

Do drill presses without a screw like that just not have that ability, or is there some other way to set the depth of the hole?

For example, here are some picture of two other drill presses. Does it look like they just don't have that capability?

2. if you look on your 3rd and 4th pictures, look at where the three handles come out of the drill press, notice how there is metal cylinder between the handles and body of the machine. that should rotate around, and what you do is lower the bit to the right depth, spin that cylinder around, then there is a set screw with a tab on it ( on that cylider) by tightening that, you have set the depth
    the attched pic should help
    Attached Images Attached Images

IMO, the depth stop on the walker turner DP is far superior to the rotating collar setup shown on those imports.

I have a ShopSmith in my shop that uses the rotating collar setup, it is accurate to a 1/64" and can be tweaked if needed, works great for me. On the rare occasion that I have a long piece that needs to be bored in the end, I can flip the headstock to the horizontal position and do any length needed, helped a friend with a garden entrance and drilled 3/4" holes in 15' long 6x6 cedar posts. Lots of folks here laugh at the ShopSmith, but it is a very versital tool for many applications, the tablesaw is not one of them.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Good Point Heather

This can also be done on a lathe. I have a drill chuck with a No.2 Morse taper for lathe. I havent used that technique in over 20 years and forgot all about it.
    Thanks Heather for the reminder.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Shanku View Post
    IMO, the depth stop on the walker turner DP is far superior to the rotating collar setup shown on those imports.
    I agree with you on this, but it isn't just imports. My Delta 17-900 made-in-the-USA has the same rotating collar arrangement. It works okay, but I would rather have the threaded rod type depth stop.

Blog Entries
    Not surprisingly the rotating collar on the 1940's Delta works smooth as glass. The same mechanism on my new Delta is a pain. My 1950's DP200 uses the screw and spin-nuts which are tedious but reliable. A good implementation of the old design would be welcome.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-23-2009 at 12:05 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Yeah, I had a delta 12" benchtop (import) that used the collar stop setup. I thought it was a pain to use and frustrating.

The 1947 14" delta I have works very nice. The integrated pointer/ruler is awesome, too.

Yeah, I had a delta 12" benchtop (import) that used the collar stop setup. I thought it was a pain to use and frustrating.

The 1947 14" delta I have works very nice. The integrated pointer/ruler is awesome, too.
    I'm with Alex on this one. The old jam nut depth stop with the integrated pointer/ruler is so simple and effective, why mess with anything else? I've used the rotating collar setup on my Shopsmith machine, but much prefer the configuration on my old Delta Rockwell.

Blog Entries
    We should start a club.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    We should start a club.

I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Porter Bassett View Post
    Do drill presses without a screw like that just not have that ability, or is there some other way to set the depth of the hole?
    If a DP doesn't have that depth stop, or similar, it won't be in my shop.
    Too many uses for it.
    They're starting to make them without a quill lock now. Talk about getting cheap.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    They're starting to make them without a quill lock now. Talk about getting cheap.
    i use the quill lock more than the depth stop. It's getting to be difficult to find DPs that have the lock.

On this one I have Up & down stops.
    The bronze down stop is set with a set screw, not to loosen.
    I have another with a stop that hits the top of the work.
    That one can be set to + or - .001". Its advantage: Cares not what the thickness of the work is.

Blog Entries
    Some guys say they don't need a quill lock. I suspect most of them never had one to know how useful it is. On my skinny belt Craftsman, I added a quick adjust stop collar, backed up by the nut. Newer ones have a quick adjust nut.