Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drill press depth adjustment

Hey Rick,

From the looks of Grizzly's parts list, it may be quite simple to replace the depth stop rod with a plain 'ol piece of 1/2-20 threaded rod, then you could use the Bridgeport style push button or clamp-on depth stop. The push button is very convenient - you depress the button and the stop slides freely for quick adjustment, with the threads engaged you turn the stop for fine adjustment. You may not get a scale in this configuration, but the ease of use and positive repeatability are worth the trade-off.

dp_exp.JPG
    Kevin Groenke
    @personmakeobject on instagram
    Fabrication Director,UMN College of Design (retired!)

Thanks Kevin.

I called Grizzly Tech Support to see if I could get a push button depth stop for my DP. I had searched their site and they sell a Quick Quill Stop (part #G7316) like you mentioned, but it is size 1/2-20. He said they don't have that stop in the metric size(M12-1.5) and suggested I try Granger. I find it very strange that they have a push button quill stop but not in the metric size that they use on their own DP! I will go ahead and order a push button stop, probably a 1/2-20 and a threaded rod to modify my DP. Is there any particular brand that is better than others?

I just found another thread on this forum that originated by Chris Barnett back in 2009 that had the same issue that I am having. The name of the thread is Grizzly drill press depth stop adjustment nut . It seems that he had exactly the same issue and couldn't find a push button depth stop nut for his Grizzly either. He also wondered why Grizzly would have a part wanted, but not in the size of the depth rod they use on their machines. I still have the same problem he had--there doesn't seem to be enough room to bore out a large enough hole to fit a 1/2" rod, so I am still searching for a workable solution.

Update: I took the original depth rod off, measured the size of the hole area and found I did have enough room to drill a 1/2" hole using a metal boring drill bit. Got some 1/2"X20 threaded rod and ordered the Quick Quill Stop. I'll post a picture when I get it all put together--I am hopeful it performs as advertised. Got an email from Grizzly saying they will have a tech support person call me about my problems with their stop rod and nut locking configuration--should be an interesting conversation.
    Last edited by Rich Bygness; 04-15-2013 at 9:10 PM. Reason: new information

April 17, 2013 Update: I just received a phone call from a Tech Support person at Grizzly. First, what we have known about the depth stop on their drill presses is accurate: they only use a two nut locking system for setting the depth stop and they still use an M12-1.5 stop rod. They also do not produce or sell a Quick Quill Stop in that size. He did not have an answer for why this is still the case, even when I told him that the woodworking community through forums like this have been trying to deal with this issue since at least as far back as 2009. I informed him that many of us base our purchasing decisions for drill presses with the highest priority being the ease and accuracy of the depth stop. I recommended to him that it would be beneficial to their company to remedy this problem and that they are losing sales because of the inferior quality of their depth stop. He was polite and listened to my concerns, but could only offer apologies for not being able to resolve this problem. I told him that I understand that he is not responsible for this situation, but should consider informing those in the Grizzly company that changing the depth stop configuration to improve their product would be beneficial to their company's sales and reputation. I also indicated to him that if anyone ever asks about purchasing a drill press, that I would strongly recommend that they not purchase a Grizzly. My recommendation would be to buy a 20 year old Delta before considering a Grizzly. All I can do now is hope that the 1/2"X20 rod and Quick Quill Stop I have ordered will resolve the problem.

I have a Steel City drill press with a quick release nut that works really nice. You can press a button to quickly set it close to the desired position, then rotate it slightly to fine tune it to be as accurate as needed.

Steve

Blog Entries
    On mine, which I believe has Acme threads with flats on each side of the threaded rod, I just set the bit to the depth I want, lock the quill, then slide the stop till it hits, tighten the setscrew with a 1/4" tee handle allen wrench and spin the nut as a backup to the stop.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 04-17-2013 at 1:27 PM.