Thread: Touch up spray guns?

Touch up spray guns?

Thinking of picking up a touch up spray gun to try and use it for small pieces, I see them at the discount stores but I'm not to certain they'll work vert well.

Any sugestions for reasonably decent gun or are the pro line guns like Sharp or Binks the only way to get good results?

I've got a good full sized Sharp gun, but I'd rather not use that
    tia

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Hi, I've found that iwata W-100 and now the new W-101 are great for wood finishing.

There are cheap touch up guns that are OK for some works, but since you didn't specify what kinda of finishing you'll be applying...it's hard to tell.

I have the Harbor Freight gravity feed touch up gun, and for the money, it's a great value.

Thanks, sorry, I'll prob use it for water based polyurethanes and maybe try varnishes and lacquers if the gun will do all that.

Didn't have much luck trying to get varnish to work in the other gun I have though.

While the Iwata looks like a nice gun, $800 was a bit...well, actually more than a bit more than I wanted to spend..

I'll check the Harbor Freight one out thanks..

Al
    Last edited by Al Willits; 02-16-2009 at 8:09 AM.

I have and use the first one on this page.

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...spray.htm#guns

I use it for everything from toning / shading to touch up to spraying small pieces where I don't feel like cleaning the bigger setups. For $35.00 it is an insanely good deal and I view it as pretty much a throw-away when it wears out. It is NOT HVLP though but that has never bothered me.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    I have and use the first one on this page.

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...spray.htm#guns

I use it for everything from toning / shading to touch up to spraying small pieces where I don't feel like cleaning the bigger setups. For $35.00 it is an insanely good deal and I view it as pretty much a throw-away when it wears out. It is NOT HVLP though but that has never bothered me.

That looks like a nice unit, thanks.
    And at $35 and works...can't beat that..

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    While the Iwata looks like a nice gun, $800 was a bit...well, actually more than a bit more than I wanted to spend..
    Actually it costs around 200$ with the teflon cup

It's not a full sized gun...but it's great! I have one connected to a iwata double diaphragm pump...and it gives my air assisted airless system a run for the money

Also air consumption it's really low.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Silva View Post
    Actually it costs around 200$ with the teflon cup

It's not a full sized gun...but it's great! I have one connected to a iwata double diaphragm pump...and it gives my air assisted airless system a run for the money

Also air consumption it's really low.
    Must be looking at a different gun than I see...

Al

Iwata W-100/LPH-100 Airbrush SPRAY GUN (HVLP)

Code: #ILPH-100$879.99

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Silva View Post

Appears they have a lot of different W-100 guns.

Thanks, ordered the Larry suggested, if it works out ok for what I'll use it for, I can always upgrade if needed.

Thanks all

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sack View Post
    I have the Harbor Freight gravity feed touch up gun, and for the money, it's a great value.
    I just used this gun yesterday to spray some Pearlized Airbrush paint on a model and it worked great.

For $9.99 it is hard to beat. I will be getting an extra one or two.

I am now the proud owner of the spray gun Larry recommended, and will give it a shot probably next week end, thanks all.

I do like the cup hanging down over the ones on top and for $35 it has a nice feel to it.

Another question if I may, thinking of trying it on the BIN primer and it seems that stuff needs alcohol to thin/clean, but seems to be fairly tough to get all removed, will this stuff clean out of the gun well or should I stick to maybe the disposable foam brushes for priming with it??
    tia

Al

Al, I am not familiar with BIN - what is it? You mention alcohol - is it shellac? If so, the gun sprays it fine and I have sprayed quite a bit of shellac through it. It clean's up easily and I just run some DNA through it and remove / clean the air horn. I tore down all my guns a week or so ago for a good cleaning, this one included. It comes apart very easily for full cleaning. But, like I said in my original post, for $35 if it gets too gunked up or starts needing replacement parts into the trash it goes and I place an order for a new one with Jeff.

Larry, BIN is a product by Zinsser that's a shellac base primer sealer, I did find this off the Zinsser web site....seek and ye shall find...

Seems easier to deal with alcohol, not sure though.
    Al

Solution:
    Since B-I-N is shellac-based, it cleans up in household ammonia and water. Let the parts soak in ammonia solution (3:1 water:ammonia) for a few hours, if necessary. On stubborn spots, use the ammonia undiluted. Alcohol, of course, will dissolve B-I-N, but if long soaking is required, it will evaporate unless you can devise some kind of closed system.

Ah - thanks for the info Al, I appreciate it. I think I will stick with my flakes and alcohol - seems easier and I like easy.