Thread: looking at a new Bandsaw

looking at a new Bandsaw

I am looking into the Grizzly G0513 17" bandsaw but it comes prewired for 220, my question is how hard is it to switch it over to 110, I know it is an option but it just comes 220.

Thanks Joe

Joe, take the motor cover off and it has a drawing of what to do on the cover ( it is very easy )
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

It's also very easy to install a 220V outlet. But I know not everyone's shop has direct access to a breaker panel.

That saw may pull 20amps on 110. Might be a consideration, too.

You got your answer from David but.. Jim and Pat made some points about 220V which I will add a few words. If you stay at this hobby you will move up to 3 HP machines eventually which all require 220V. And at that point you need one 220 V line. But.. if you add a 3 HP cyclone you will need 2 as I found out years ago.

So.. with that said you might consider biting the bullet and make provisions now. Rick stated on 110 V you will pull twice the amps that you would on 220 V. In a year or two what is cost you to wire for the 220 V will be offset in your power usage alone and give you the versatility you will need if you do indeed stick around and move up to more serious HP machines.

Good luck.... we've all been there with this one at some point of our journey...

Sarge..

Well the Eletrical Panel is in the shop so what is involved in adding a 220 to the circuit

Adding 220 is also pretty simple for an in-shop breaker box, although you may want to get professional help if it sounds uncomfortable. For that saw (or anything 3 hp or less), you need a 20A circuit. Add a 20-amp double breaker to the box. Run 12/2 with ground cable to where you want the receptacle. Color the ends of the white wire red or whatever with magic marker (so it's not confused with a "neutral"). Install 20A/220 receptacle in box and put matching plug on the BS cord.

Follow any codes for cable-in-conduit, etc.

Joe,

I have a G0513x2 and have it wired for 110. It was very easy and didn't take long at all (minutes if I remember correctly.) It took a lot less time to re-wire it than it did to assemble it.

It runs like a champ on 110. However, it is the only thing running on that circuit when it's turned on (20 Amp circuit).

Nothing magical about 220 volt. basically 220 volt is two 110 lines tied together. I have had nothing more than high school shop class and have wired 220 myself with the help of the electric supply house with proper wire size etc... But nothing to fool with. If you don't know how ,get a pro.

If the panel is in your shop, Make the jump to 220. Like one of the others said. If you make the saw work on 110 you will be pushing the limits (if not over) the draw on the line. You will not be able to run anything else on that line and not blow the breaker.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 02-24-2009 at 4:31 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Better get an electrician.220 is dangerous to fool around with. I can wire a simple switch,or change motor voltage (though the Chinese diagrams CAN BE BOGUS!!!!),but for something like adding 220,I hire it out.

I ran 220 to my garage and installed a breaker box. No trouble at all. Just pay attention to what you're doing.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I ran 220 to my garage and installed a breaker box. No trouble at all. Just pay attention to what you're doing.
    Yup. Let's face it, any woodworker who uses power tools is doing something dangerous which could result in very serious injury. But if you're careful and follow basic safety practices, you can use these tools for a lifetime with no serious injury. Electricity is the same way.

I installed three 110V outlets, one of which is a GFC, and one 220V outlet. This proves it can't be that hard because, as you all know, I'm quite the biscuit-head.

I used to hire a sparky..

My father in law was here, visiting. He is a retired welder and offered to install a 30x220v for me.

He walked me through the breaker box part, the rest I knew.

I would do the next one myself (except the box is full).

Get someone to help, if someone is available. Better safe than sorry.