Thread: Looking for Materials in Southern Maryland

Question Looking for Materials in Southern Maryland

I'm new to the Southern Maryland area (about 6 months now) and thus far I've been getting my hardwood lumber from Exotic Lumber in Annapolis...great selection, prices a bit too high, and over a 50 mile drive for me.

The one thing I'm having a very hard time with though is finding more common sheet goods and the like...phenolic ply, melamine, birch ply, etc... Exotic does not carry phenolic or other resin coated products, and the local lumber yards are useless...I had to explain at length, and ended up bringing in a FWW article to prove to them that phenolic ply actually exists...only to find out they can't order it!

Anyone who can help out with a source for either hardwood lumber and more importantly sheet goods type materials in the Souther Maryland area (Calvert or St. Mary's County) it would be greatly appreciated.

Looking for Materials in MD

Chris,
    I've used Woodruff in LaPlata a few times.
    Contact info is below. I've attached their February price list. Mostly hardwoods but may be worth a look.

Dennis & Susan Woodruff
    Maryland Select Hardwoods
    LaPlata, MD
    301-753-6120 (sawmill)
    301-609-3022 (home - evenings)

Good Luck.
    Matt
    Attached Files Attached Files

woodfinder.com is a good starting point. I believe there are a couple of lumber supplies a little closer to you than Exotics. You can always order phenolics and bb ply from woodcraft or other online suppliers.

Good luck in your search.
    -==--==--==--==--==--==--==-
    Karlan Talkington

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day,
    that my children may have peace." -- Thomas Paine

Support the Creek! Donate Today!

I'm in Northern VA, so not much help there. But, if you are looking for phenolic ply, I did some research not too long ago:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=102255

FBOW, the closest Whitecap to you seems to be the one near me--Springfield, VA. But, they have lots of it and seem ready to deal.

Thumbs up

Matt,
    Thanks your post was very helpful...I have heard of these folks but never managed to make it over there. Looks like the prices are outstanding...

6. Chris,

I live in Waldorf and also use Exotic lumber.

Other than them I use

Colonial Hardwoods (it's near Woodcraft in Springfield, Va)
    7953 Cameron Brown Ct.
    Springfield, VA 22153
    (703) 451-9217

I heard there was an Amish or Amish like mill somewhere near Mechanicsville, you'll have to find a local to determine if this is true.

I'm in Ellicott City, so the places I go tend to be north or west of Baltimore.

The best prices I've found in Maryland are at the Hicksville Planing Mill (no I am not making the name up). It is at 14464 Hicksville Road, Clear Spring MD - 301-842-3474. It is just west of Hagerstown - it is a hike, but if you need a bunch of lumber it is the best place I've found. They are a great bunch of guys. You just tell them what you'd like and they'll pull a pallet down and you pick out what rough cut lumber you'd like. I usually buy a couple hundred board feet when I go to make the trip worth the drive. The only caveat is I believe they do not take charge cards.

I haven't purchased any sheet goods. However, Hardwoods Inc in Frederick looks like they have a pretty good selection. My next project will need some White Oak plywood and I'll probably be getting it there. They are also good to deal with.

Good Luck!

John

Chris'
    Check out Wurth Wood Group, Elkridge, Md.-800-935-6229. Great people to deal with.

Another thumbs up for Dennis at Maryland Select Hardwoods out near Ironsides. His prices are usually very competitive (if not the best) and I've gotten some really nice stock from him. He's also easy to work with, and has no problem letting you pick through the stacks as long as you stack them neatly when you're done. He's also expanded a lot (doubled the space?) in the last year or so, so if you haven't been there in a while it might be worth a look again. Just be sure to call him first, I'm not sure he spends the whole day there every day.

Of course Exotic Lumber in Annapolis carries stuff that requires you to bring a towel to wipe up all the drool.....but you'll certainly pay top dollar for it there. If you are looking for something more exotic (hence the name) that'd be the place to go. However, for domestic stuff I'd look at the other sources already mentioned.
    Last edited by Sean Kinn; 02-26-2009 at 8:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Robertson View Post
    Chris'
    Check out Wurth Wood Group, Elkridge, Md.-800-935-6229. Great people to deal with.
    I just went there the first time to get some ML Campbell lacquer. There was a small entrance with a counter, and a nice lady got me what I needed. But all the doorways leading from that small room were marked employees only.

Do you need to establish a commercial account with them to be able look through their sheet goods and pick what you need? It wasn't really apparent how you would go about buying any of their wood products.

Thumbs up

Thanks again for the tip...I made a trip to Maryland Select yesterday and picked up a 13' long x 25 1/2" wide piece of Jatoba for under $100!!!!! This guy has amazing prices and is really personable...excellent recommendation.

You might check out the Forestry Forum. It is a forum for guys with saw mills. Lots of guys cut local wood and sell it priced right.