I'm torn between the Oneway 2436 and the VB36. I know, tough times, but a guy's got to make a decision right? Anyway, I currently turn on a Lodge and Davis Fox Monitor Lathe (circa 1880, converted to electric motor with belt adjusted variable speed and used as a wood lathe, 12" spindle height, 70" bed), and a 15 y/o 12" Delta variable speed. Neither are outboard lathes and I need to turn some larger projects.

I am leaning towards the Oneway because it can be used as an outboard lathe and it has good inboard capability that can be expanded. A Oneway with the outboard options are still cheaper than a VB36 without the optional tailstock assebly.

The other option is to get the VB36 w/o the tailstock as I'm not sure I can afford the tailstock option.

I know the VB36 is probably a much better lathe, but I think it might be more lathe than I'll ever need. Of course I've tried to justify it in my mind, however, when I see profesional turners using a Powermatic, a Oneway, or some other lathe, turning things larger than I have ever thought of turning, I start thinking, okay, I can be happy with the Oneway!

Also, does anyone know the weight of either machine? My L&D is over 500 lbs and I have not had it wobble at all, but I've also dever turned more than about 22" dia. before.

I don't know of anyone in Juneau with either lathe, and being a landlocked community, traveling anywhere to try one of these machines out is probably not going to happen.

Your thoughts are appreciated, comments from those who have turned on these lathes even more appreciated.