Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oneway 2436 or VB36

I wanted "big" capacity inboard without a massive size machine...Stubby got the call.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Personally the Stubby is at the top of my list, though the VB36 is in the top 3. Have you considered the Serious lathe? http://www.seriouslathe.com/wood-lathes.php
    25" swing, 42" between centers, 44" outboard (outboard tooling is supposed to be available spring 2009, I'd give them a call and see what's what), 1500 lbs of cast iron.

I up graded from a PM almost a year ago. I didn't even consider the Oneway or the Serious because neither had a sliding headstock. This was important because my lathe space in my shop is in a corner, so turning off the back side of the headstock is not an option. Perhaps I am prejudiced because of 8 years on the PM. I didn't consider the Stubby. Just didn't look right to me, but from all I have heard, it is an excellent lathe. I was down to the VB36, and the Robust. I went with the Robust. If I was turning only bowls, I would get the VB36. It will handle spindles, but really it is a bowl lathe. I do turn some spindles and hollow forms, and wanted a longer bed, so got a bed extension. The Robust is made in the USA which also influenced me a bit. Weighs in at about 750, all said and done. The mobility kit that comes with it makes it simple to move. The legs are also extendable. I had my PM up on a 4 x 4 to get it to height for me.
    robo hippy

Out of those two I would say vb36. However I really like my Vicmarc. It can do almost everything both of those other lathes can do. I believe the price is lower also.

Jon,

Island Woodcraft down the coast from you on Vancouver Island sells Oneway and usually has the 2436 on the floor. Check out their website.

Happen to know any fishing boats, or others that go up and down the coast? Island Woodcraft is only a couple of blocks from the ocean.

6. Hi Jon

I have two 2436 Oneways and have turned a few large items over the years on them and know they will handle anything you can give them. Here are some turnings that I did for Coldwater Creek, 100 turnings that weighed 250-300 lbs each. I do better on the phone than the computer If you would like to talk lathes give me a call www.heirloombowls.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

David, very impressive setup, you hoist your blank with wood thongs? that is what it looks like, i have seen ice thongs of yesteryear, but wood thongs would work very well
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 02-26-2009 at 9:00 AM.

Thanks everyone for great advice and lots to think about. I know it doesn't totally make a lot of logical sense, but the look of a machine is a big deal to me. The Stubby, some of the others just don't do it for me. I think I'm going to have to go for the Oneway. I'll do my best to locate one that I can turn on, but if I can't I'll rely on the many folks who love them for the quality. They also have some innovative options and accessories, a fully functioning outboard bowl feature, the capacity to turn spindles well, and they are pleasing to the eye. Bigger and better is great and probably points to the VB36, but my motto has always been "wisdom before pride." Sascha - thanks for the honesty check. Again the stubby is a great lathe, but the outboard feature is pretty critical for me. There's always the Laguna Pinnacle, but again, no ourboard. Charlie - I don't want to sound like some sort of over priveleged woodturner buying a big expensive piece os iron - lets just say almost all my machines are hand me downs, and this will be *by far* the shinniest tool in the shop! Mike - as far as the Oliver #22 - I've got the space, but my door is too small! I'm thinking of remodeling the shop to include an overhead garage door... Scott - don't know much about the Serious Lathe looks heavy, but again, no ourboard turning feature. David - impressive picture! I almost feel guilty buying the same lathe as a guy who turns a thousand bowls a year, and who has to store 50 of them on pallats!!

Again, thanks all for the comments, it is helping a lot in the process.

With this class of machine, I think it's absolutely essential that you turn on your target(s) before you make the investment--even if it costs you a plane ticket. You're looking at plunking down $5-6K and will likely have to live with your choice for a long time! While I appreciate your love of "the look", how it feels when you are turning the type of things you plan on turning is far, far more important. That's what ruled out most of the machines I considered after turning on them...I couldn't stand comfortably and in balance where I prefer to stand at those lathes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jon, i just thank you for including us in your decision, having two other lathes and the weather that you live with, woodturning is probably an important part of your life, hope to see some of your turnings

its an interesting thread, sort of a fantasy of mine, who knows what's in the future for any of us

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    With this class of machine, I think it's absolutely essential that you turn on your target(s) before you make the investment................ how it feels when you are turning the type of things you plan on turning is far, far more important.
    Okay, I guess I needed to hear that again. This isn't a table saw that I'll be standing at for 2-3 minutes at a time making a few cuts, or a planer that I'll be mindlessly feeding wood through. Spending significant time at a machine means it needs to fit your feel and style *just* right. I think I get it.

Charley - I agree that this is an interesting thread - probably some of the best comments on the subject I have read. Again, thanks all.

Jon,
    I am curious about one thing. You mention several times about outboard turning abilities. Why is that so important to you? With a sliding headstock, out board isn't necessary, you just slide the headstock down to the far end and turn off that end. It does the same thing. I have never turned outboard. Isn't it a left handed turn? Do you need separate face plates and chuck inserts?
    robo hippy

13. The reason that I chose the lathe that I use rather than one of the many fine lathes on the market today. First of all dependability and how easy it was to work with. replacement parts are available locally just a couple days away from a manufacturer with a long reputation. In the last few years there have been several companies that have gone out of business and parts for their lathes are no longer available.
    The 2436 controller is one of the finest available and mounted in a airtight box out of the way not behind the headstock to be filled with sanding dust as on some machines ,the spindle is turned ground and polished and hardened. Available in a variety of HP options, mine is the 3hp and stainless ways with the extra long outboard. As far as a sliding headstock that is the last thing that I want on a lathe,it might be OK on a hobby lathe but not on a lathe that will turn larger items. (had the chance to turn on a Powermatic with one while demoing in Louisville ,took only a few minutes to loosen) saw nothing about alignment problems. you want your work over the heaviest part of your lathe to eliminate vibration the headstock. The spindle is threaded with the same right hand threads on both the inboard and outboard sides so it uses all the same faceplates and chucks. When turning outboard you put the lathe in reverse and turn the same as you would if wou were inboard. The toolrest and tailstock are very user friendly and precision aligned. The last thing I want is a toolrest that rides on the floor in the chips and shavings that fall there. I forgot the bearings, the bearings on the oneway are four heavy duty bearings paired into two matched sets that will withstand a tremendious load. I have put over ,well I can't tell you because you won't believe me tens of thousands of lbs. on my lathe without any problems. The bearings on a VB require you to add oil and the is need for adjustments adjustments,they are a bushing not a bearing.
    I make my living turning bowls and have two 2436 lathes and a 1224 for my grandson if I thought the was a better lathe on the market I would sell these in a minute and get it. Sorry if I came off to strong but I do have strong feelings about people getting the story from someone who stands behind one eight hours a day not just from the weekend hobbiest that would do just as good on a small lathe
    I really didn't want to write this but I hope it is helpful to some of you and I'm sure you will be happy with your new lathe what ever it ends up being.
    Everyone you ask that has invested thousands of dollars in something better say they like it, have you ever met someone that did'nt?
    Included a picture of my grandson Corbin who is eight years old and already has his own 1224
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Jon,
    I am curious about one thing. You mention several times about outboard turning abilities. Why is that so important to you? With a sliding headstock, out board isn't necessary, you just slide the headstock down to the far end and turn off that end. It does the same thing. I have never turned outboard. Isn't it a left handed turn? Do you need separate face plates and chuck inserts?
    robo hippy

The Oneway has a reversible motor and outboard spindle threads to match the inboard spindle thread. It is totally interchangeable. I suppose you're right about a sliding headstock, but a lot of the bigger machines don't have a sliding headstock, and I don't want the hassle of removing the tail stock then sliding the headstock down the bed every time I turn a bowl. I do a lot of spindle and a lot of bowl turning and don't want to have to set up the machine every time I change. With the Oneway, you can leave your spindle tooling on the bed and then turn bowls etc. on the outboard side. Right now, I'll put a box on my larger lathe and put a lid on the smaller lathe and sort of work on both back and forth until I get both pieces looking the way I want them. I've got a little ADD tendancy, so I'm all over the shop like that sometimes. Also, this keeps my tools in a better central location - all near the headstock. Right now I've got two magnetic tool holders - one above each lathe. I'm constantly migrating tools from one lathe to the other. Wait - maybe I just need two of each!

Anyone else have outboard turning comments? I'm sure everyone who has turned a hollow form on the inboard side has either "mounted" the lathe to get the right angle or has simply walked around to the other side. Am I the only one?

Great pic of your Grandson David. I've admired your work and followed your success some for a while (long before I possessed a lathe). The Oneway has one heck of a reputation, that's for sure. David Marks has pretty much the same opinion as you on the lathe as well, although he turns outboard frequently with those wall saucers he makes (36-60" forms).

I think that this discussion emphasizes Jim's point about getting some actual time on the very units you are considering. Everyones turning style is a bit different. Reed is a professional turner and finds the sliding headstock indispensible (and his work is excellent too) and David turns some monstrously large inboard pieces.

Shame you're so far north, a road trip would be in order to hit some shops up and get some time on these machines. I'm certain that getting a "rolling" review would be of value to you and entertaining to us

I'm still holding out for that Oli #22 12' bed, 24-28" inboard, as much HP as you can ask for... but at a weight of 4-9000 lbs and a huge restoration bill likely. There is no way to get one for less than one of these top tier lathes.

Good stuff, great discussion, and the passion for these machines is clear.

YOUR approach will determine which lathe appeals the most.

mike