Thread: Setting Jointer Knives

Angry Setting Jointer Knives

I love my new Jet jointer!!!! (gloat)
    I hate setting the knives!!! (gripe) :-(
    I've spent two hours so far and still can't get one edge and one face at 90 degrees.
    The fence and tables are at 90 degrees.
    Evidently, the knives are not.
    Jet's method (as described in the manual) sucks.
    Has anyone used any of these types of jigs???

http://www.right-tool.com/joinpalmagjo.html

Help!!!!
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

Gary:

I feel your pain. Setting jointer knives is one of my least favorite maintenance tasks.

I have the polycarbonate Jointer Pals. It's a great idea, really. It'd be even better if they were accurate. I always end up with one side slightly higher than the other. I have had the same issue with that tool on 2 different jointers - my old 4" ShopSmith and my new Powermatic 54 - so I don't think it's the jointer. That narrows it down to the Jointer Pals or the operator (me). I choose to blame the tool, in this case.

They do sell a lot of them, and I've heard lots of folks say good things about them, so it may be that I just got ahold of a bad one.

For the record, I also have their Planer Pals, and they're great!!
    Last edited by Sam Chambers; 07-12-2004 at 2:12 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    Sam/Atlanta

setting power jointer knives is easy.....power thicknesser is a pain...unless you get a disposable cutter system such as Tersa or ESTA.

Take a scrap...something like 6 to 12 inches long by maybe an inch wide. cut a piece of mdf if you've got some around. Set cutting edges parallel to outfeed table....and set each knife to equal height. I do it so that each knife just touches the scrap when the scrap is mostly on the outfeed table - hence you'd prefer to have a really flat scrap but not necessary. Some like to do is set so the scrap is lifted and moved the same amount of distance with a revolution of the cutter...mark a pencil line on the infeed table....Normally takes about 30 minutes on my 6 inch 3 cutter jointer. Once the knives are all parallel and equal height, adjust outfeed table to get good performance. Double check knives for parallel and equal height after tightening gib screws.......and tighten gib screws like you would lug nuts for car wheels.....
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

I agree it sucks. I checked my Jet jointer when I got it with one of those dial indicators attached to a magnetic base. Problem was the damn pointer would move every time I moved the base. It was so fragile that I couldn't get it to work right. Ultimately, I did nothing for fear that I'd just screw the knives up. I have seen a jig that has a sold cast iron body with a curve on one end where the dial pointer comes down. That looks like it would work pretty well. However, it costs about $80 which seems a bit steep. I've seen other people make them out of a pice of wood, but I could never figure out how to get the dial indicator set in the wood so it wouldn't move.

Good luck. I'm right there suffering along side you.

Jack

Gary,

I have a jointer pal, but don't use it or a dial indicator, or anything but a 12" steel straight edge. My jointer does have jack screws that helps a bunch. I simply extend the straight edge across the cutter head and replace the knives one at a time setting them to top dead center. I find TDC by rocking the cutterhead back and forth. As long as all the knives are set the same height, the outfeed table can be adjusted as needed. I'll send you a couple articles via email.

John

Exclamation Thanks

Thanks for the replies.
    I'll keep pluggin away 'til I get it!!!
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

I do set the knives as Tim described only I use a square a small machinest level instead of a scrap of wood to insure the blades are the same height as the outfeed table at all points.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I have a W1211 jig that I no longer need. I'll sell it for $30 plus $5 UPS shipping.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by S Larkin
    I have a W1211 jig that I no longer need. I'll sell it for $30 plus $5 UPS shipping.
    I hope you get a response to your offer.
    You can also list on the Classified Forum

However, the SMC Terms of Service require you to use a real first and last name to be a bona fide member of Sawmill Creek. Please PM Jackie Outten with the information and she will update your registration accordingly.

I like your tag line Ken!

"Your friendly moderator" - It seems as though on this board, you do a mighty fine job - or perhaps it is such a great group of people you don't have to do your job. Either way, it's a winning combination!

Sorry for pirating the thread, just needed to pass along a thanks to Ken.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    I hope you get a response to your offer.
    You can also list on the Classified Forum

However, the SMC Terms of Service require you to use a real first and last name to be a bona fide member of Sawmill Creek. Please PM Jackie Outten with the information and she will update your registration accordingly.