Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stop posting craigslist ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Shanku View Post
    My gripe:

Put it this way, if you had your eye on a tool or machine, and someone started posting url's of the add along with pictures, would you be happy?
    Put it this way, if you were the seller of a tool or machine, and someone started posting url's of the add along with pictures, would you be happy?

Personally, I've never bought or sold on CL but you can always flip the coin and hope for the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    What bothers me more is when someone lists an item then a few days later when they don't get any takers threaten to post the item on e-bay or CL.
    Hmm... Not sure I understand. If its a good price, sounds like someone is trying to give SMC users first dibs by posting here first. But, as a seller, if no one is biting, I don't see the problem with casting the net wider. Giving people at SMC a little forewarning that you are about the cast the net wider -- just in case someone is one the fence -- doesn't seem like a problem either...

What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Alex,

This is a good idea, we can adjust the Forum privileges so that visitors cannot view anything in the D&D Forum.
    Keith, hopefully, as Rob alluded to in his post above, this will draw in a some revenue for the site.

For the record these kinds of posts are not allowed in any of our woodworking forums here. When I find them in the wrong forum I either delete them or move them depending on the subject.

In our Classified Forum we intentionally allowed visitors to not only read posts but they can also view pictures. The reason is that when our Contributors are trying to sell their stuff and we want to help them as much as possible.
    I do like this setup, too. Just another advantage of being a member/contributor!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mohr View Post
    Put it this way, if you were the seller of a tool or machine, and someone started posting url's of the add along with pictures, would you be happy?

Personally, I've never bought or sold on CL but you can always flip the coin and hope for the other side.

I kind of addressed this when I wrote that

" If they wanted it posted on this site, let THEM do it." (referring to a person selling on craigslist/etc.)

And tying back into the idea of contributors benefits, this would be one of them. The seller would have to contribute to the site to be able to post his item.

Posting all Ebay deals and Craigslist deals in the Deals and Discount Forum is an excellent idea, making it available to contributors only is an idea that I support fully. Sometimes I am a little slow at contributing and knowing that I can't use the Classifieds Forum gets me to contribute sooner, doing the same to the Deals and Discount Forum will more than likely get lurkers to open their wallets.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Shanku View Post
    And tying back into the idea of contributors benefits, this would be one of them. The seller would have to contribute to the site to be able to post his item.
    Add me to the list in support of contributor access only to both D&D and the Classified forum. Excellent solution to this issue, and I believe the concerns of Alex would be resolved by this approach - I think.

Part of the issue is that we have a number of posts where people say "What do you think of this machine?" and post a link to a CL listing.

They're not posting it as a deal, more to get feedback from folks about the machine.

Personally, I still think all such posts should go to D&D because they are short lived. Once the CL (or Ebay) listing goes away, so does msot of the reason for the thread.

Craigslist

I always look at the deals and discounts. Sometimes I look at the Craigslist postings, sometimes not. I think it is a good thing that one Creeker is trying to help out others. My feeling is if you don't want to look at it, then don't.

Sam

Alex -- Wow This thread took off. Thankfully, it did not also contain any reference to a Sawstop or the added activity would have brought down the servers

I have enjoyed the Cl postings -- I have not bought anything because of a post - but find them interesting as to what is available and the going price.

I have often felt that a way to post current e-bay auctions like old planes/ tools and then provide a way for the better informed members to educate others (like me) on what is actually being auction would be a great addition and if in a members only part of the forum would be a real "value added" incentive to becoming a member.

Same with the deals area -- I have appreciated the postings and have bought quite a few items because of them. This also would be a great "value add" to becoming a member.

The only down side to restricting the postings would be that we may be excluding an deal finding olympian -- and then we all loose.

Maybe we could fund a best deal gets a free membership somehow??

10. Tempest ~ ~ Teacup

I didn't read the whole thread but I happen to like the CL postings and see no problem with them.
    If someone were to beat me to the item or vice versa, so be it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Overall, I think the *spirit* of posting the CL links is to help a fellow Creeker...at least that is why I have done it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Tom,

Again, the problem with ebay or CL posts as the basis for a thread is that the ebay/CL thread page goes away quickly. People don't copy and paste ebay/CL test into the SMC posts and don't upload the pictures as attachments - and probably shouldn't because of copyright/ownership issues.

IMO, that limits the life of the thread to the ebay/CL page's lifespan.

Leave it alone!!!

My vote is for letting them post the links...it helps selling and also helps SMCreekers get a good buy. I look here at least 3x a day for posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    What bothers me more is when someone lists an item then a few days later when they don't get any takers threaten to post the item on e-bay or CL.
    I understand every post in this thread except this one. ?????