Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stop posting craigslist ads.

I don't have strong feelings about this either way...I see both sides of the issue.

Just FYI -- not to imply we should by copying other forums, but the OWWM forum strictly forbids posting of ebay and CL listings. For those die hard OWWM folks, searching for vintage machinery is a rite of passage, and it violates the spirit of the hobby to bypass that process with forum postings.

Certainly, I think this is a bigger issue for old vintage iron and bigger machinery. Who is going to get too upset about missing a $40 savings on a Dewalt miter saw? Getting beat out on an Oliver jointer though, that one has been hunting out for a few years, might be a different story.

Whichever way we go, I do strongly support the notion that only contributors should be able to view postings of deals on CL or Ebay.
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

Alex, you have created a monster
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Seems like an example of a misguided sense of entitlement.

My understanding of the function of "Deals and Discounts" is that it is to inform fellow creekers of 'deals and discounts' they might not have known about otherwise.

Maybe we should take a poll. How many times has a creeker purchased an item from a craigslist ad that they first saw here, versus how many times have you lost a craigslist item because it was posted here?

I'm all for more revenue for SMC, but this might cut both ways, since access to a forum is required to post as well. I'd hate to see the number posts about deals and discounts drop (although it might save me some money) because the only people who are allowed to post are contributors. Any idea how many of the D&D posts are typically contributors, versus non-contributors?

Given comments about how D&D is useful to give people pricing information, what about a specific forum -- for contributors -- for used pricing? A "blue book" forum? You could have a thread for particular equipment that people could add too, providing basic information like date of sale, condition, estimated age, extras, and region. People looking for information on whether something is a good deal could be pointed that direction...

Not sure why, but it seems like every time something like this comes up, somebody wants to make it a contributor only section..not sure if that's good or not....

Personally I think it all should go in the D&D section, the post should be required to have item and where it's located in the topic or its deleted or asked to be changed.

I don't see any reason not to post them, we are trying to help our fellow woodworks..right?

Oh..ya multple year contribtions would make me very happy, hard enough to remember to send a check for this old guy, much less one who suffers from CRS...

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Al...
    Recently Aaron sent it up so now you will be notified that your donation is about to expire.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    Al...
    Recently Aaron sent it up so now you will be notified that your donation is about to expire.

No prob there, it getting the darn check together then getting my but over to the post office...you guys are doing find, its the old fart who's having probs...

I figured if I did finally wake up long enough to get it together, it'd be nice to get a couple years in anyway, say $25 for two years???

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    No prob there, it getting the darn check together then getting my but over to the post office...you guys are doing find, its the old fart who's having probs...

I figured if I did finally wake up long enough to get it together, it'd be nice to get a couple years in anyway, say $25 for two years???

Al
    Al,

We can certainly take it under advisement and discuss it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Shanku View Post
    My gripe:

You see these posts both in the Deals and Discounts forum, as well as the General Woodworking forum.

WHY??

If someone is looking for old tools, or tools in general, let them do the leg work. You are NOT helping anyone out by screwing over a guy who is looking, on his own, for deals on craigslist, ebay, etc.

Put it this way, if you had your eye on a tool or machine, and someone started posting url's of the add along with pictures, would you be happy?

End gripe.
    These types of posts belong in the D and D forum only and if someone is posting them in General Woodworking then yes that should not be tolerated. However the rest of your post sounds like a selfish little rant to be honest and its uncalled for. ALOT of people here like those headsups and I am one of them. To say "let them do their own legwork" is just being self centered and honestly downright unfriendly. You got something against helping others out? Thats all their trying to do is help people who may not have seen the ads themselves at CL or maybe they remembered seeing someone on here asking about a certain tool and they went "hey I'll post this here and maybe ol Bill over in Kentucky will be interested". Its just being neighborly to me. How is it screwing over anyone? Chances are if someone is looking on their own they have found it long before someone here posts about it, then someone else reads it and finds the deal. The item is probably long gone by then but that is NOT the point. Your saying in effect to heck with someone, let them do it themselves and Im saying hey maybe I can help.
    Last edited by Jim Kountz; 02-26-2009 at 12:49 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

One step back...

Time for a group hug!
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    Tom,

Again, the problem with ebay or CL posts as the basis for a thread is that the ebay/CL thread page goes away quickly. People don't copy and paste ebay/CL test into the SMC posts and don't upload the pictures as attachments - and probably shouldn't because of copyright/ownership issues.

IMO, that limits the life of the thread to the ebay/CL page's lifespan.
    Im trying hard to understand what the life of the thread has to do with anything. Are you saying that if a threads relevance only lasts a few days or so then it shouldnt be posted? If so then there are hundreds of threads that are shall we say for sake of argument 'time stamped" or relevant to a few days or so. I think personally you're kind of stuck on this "life of thread" thing.

Jim,
    SMC was set up to be archived for everyone to be able to use now and in the future. The archive is getting huge and we...the mods and the administrators... have been discussing what is and what isn't worth archiving. One of those things is the short term announcements like CL. Why would we want to keep useless information archived? If we decide to not archive them they need to be in one place for ease of deletion.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Jim,
    SMC was set up to be archived for everyone to be able to use now and in the future. The archive is getting huge and we...the mods and the administrators... have been discussing what is and what isn't worth archiving. One of those things is the short term announcements like CL. Why would we want to keep useless information archived? If we decide to not archive them they need to be in one place for ease of deletion.
    Now that makes perfect sense. To not archive the d&d section is definitely a no brainer, I agree. SO can that be done? Just simply not backup and save that particular forum? And keep in mind im all for NOT allowing these posts in the other forums, that what the d&d is for after all correct?

For my 'day' job I travel all over the continental US and Canada, usually in a cargo van but also occasionally in 12'-15' trucks. I live in the St Louis area and this week I'm working in downtown LA so I truly appreciate the Craig's list postings in deals and discounts and the classified forums because something might turn up in an area I'm literally just passing through that I would have missed doing my own searches.

I do use some tools to help in searching but in my testing they have missed several listings somebody checking their local listings would have been able to pull up. Not too mention that setting up a search to check every city listing within say 100 miles of I44 from St Louis MO to Oklahoma City OK, within 100 miles of I40 from Oklahoma City OK to Barstow CA is at best a tedious painful process with dubious results.

So if somebody wants to be neighborly and post a good deal they know about in Gallup NM I'm all for it. Even if the creek had nothing else of value to offer, I would have coughed up the $6.00 to support that feature alone.

Jim,
    I think this is a great idea. I don't think there is anything in the Deals and Discounts that needs to be archived.