Thread: LV Twin Screw mounting question.

LV Twin Screw mounting question.

It would appear the vise can be mounted with a bench leg being between the screws. Anyone know otherwise?

What's the minimum chop length over the vise screw spread? In other words: if the screws are separated 24" on center, the chop must be 28" long? 30"?

Thanks,
    Chuck
    AKA - "The human termite"

2. I've got 2 twin screws on my vise. Hopefully that qualifies me somewhat to respond.

There won't be any installation problem with a leg between the screws. It's a strange place to want a leg, I think, but I guess you could put dog holes in the leg and use it as a stop for panels you drop into the vise?

Minimum chop length--this is up to you. Obviously, it needs to be at least 24" + the screw diameters and then some, but the amount the chop extends past the bolts is up to you.

Chop ?

What exactly do you mean by chop ? I am building a bench at this time and will be installing the same vice. When reading the instruction booklet, I don't recall "chop" in the text. did I miss this ?

Louis

Louis my understanding is that the chop is the movable wooden face of the vice. A lot of vises use the apron as the fixed jaw and chop would be the face that is retacted or advanced by the screw(s).

I am installing a LV twin screw now. and I have 21" centers (sligtly offset to avoid undercarage issues) on a 27" chop. If you are going to use the chain cover it will be the limiting factor. Send LV an email or give them a call they are usally very helpful. Heck Rob Lee himself has helped me out more than once.

chop

Thanks Joe, you cleared this up. My installation will not be a problem, I've allowed for the vice screws when laying out the legs and base. I should be ready the install both bench vices tomorrow.

Louis

Putting a leg between the screws is no problem...I just created a couple of blocks for the screws to mount to, and bolted them to the top. Basically the same design as you would use for wooden screws. (Take a look at slide 40 of the linked document for details...http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...Workbench.aspx

As for size, I just went and measured mine and for 24" centers on the screws, the aluminum cover is 29" wide so that would be your minimum length for the movable jaw.

Chop is an old English term for the jaw of a vise.

Thanks all. My bench, like Narayan's, is on Adjust-a-Bench legs, with a twin-screw face vise, a Tucker on that end, and hopefully Jameel's wagon vise as a tail vise. Needless to say, it gets a little crowded underneath, which leads to the questions. No, I didn't go completely nuts all at once. I've had the Tucker and Twun Screw for years. A loss of space is taking me from two benches to one.
    AKA - "The human termite"