Thread: boat baby cradle

boat baby cradle

My wife and I are expecting in late March. I have been thinking about building a boat cradle and was wondering about the forms to use. I have bead and cove router bits and was planning on building a strip type. Can I just fake it as far as the forms go , or are there certain rate of bend rules i need to be aware of? I will probably build it out of white oak.

This will be a getting-familiar-with-the -idea project with plans to build a strip boat in the future.

For a cradle boat you can get away with "faking it". I personally would not use white oak. Too Heavy, too difficult to work. Ash might be a better choice if you want a light colour. Check out Woodenboat Magazine. They offer some really nice plans for just this sort of thing.

PS: Congrats!! Hope Mom and baby are doing well!
    Last edited by Jim Creech; 02-26-2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: add post script

Shucks, I don't have any dry ash. I have been whining these last few weeks though because i discovered that the emerald ash borer has made it into the woods I am currently cutting in. There are areas in this woods that are predominately ash trees. i could probably cut 6-8000 brd. ft. or more. The durn bugs will kill all the ash trees within a year.

I was under the impression that white oak would work well. At least it seems to bend easily when I have cut cast-offs around 1/4" thick. What other woods would work well? I have maple, walnut, cherry, and elm.

White Oak will be fine for this project. I was just concerned over the weight. Especially with a new mom. I built a small hutch with white oak and was amazed at how heavy the thing was. It has'nt been moved since I placed it in the house. Thinking about relegating it to shop storage as it has buckled the surrounding flooring. Are you planning on finishing bright or painting?

Ah those nautical terms. I will probably just stain and poly coat the wood. The weight may actually be a plus. It may keep the siblings from moving the crib/bed around. The boys will probably think it's a racing vehicle and try to push the baby around the house. I haven't figured weather or not to build stanchions to hang it from. i may just build a stand. I do have some glider bearings, so that may be an option. I ordered the Expectant Dads book on boat crib building.
    I have only read about this style of building. There is a guy in my church who has built some strip kayaks so I have a resource for information.
    I am a frustrated boat owner wanna be. I love fishing, and have a lot of sailing genes in the family history. It was a dream to someday build a real boat. Maybe when I retired. I retired last July and given the current economy it looks like the frustration may continue for a while. I hope this project is something like a disease.