Thread: A chair for a big man (or person)

A chair for a big man (or person)

I have someone in mind I would like to make a chair for and this may be an ongoing thing. This guy is about 6'6", 350lbs, but not super fat to be blunt. Just a massive human being. The type of guy who could lift an engine block out of a vehicle.

I am thinking just a utilitarian chair but very comfortable. A working mans chair.

Would you just scale up a comfortable chair? By perhaps 10%? Seat angle with regards to easy sit and raise?

Just started thinking about this today. Havent gotten very far.

Mark

How about a Morris Chair

I just finished a Morris Chair. When I took it to my upholsterer to have the cushions made she said "This thing was designed for a giant." With that said, she modified the cushion thicknesses to fit an average sized person. It is very comfy, and uses very heavy construction; 4/4, 5/4 and 8/4 QSWO and all M&T joinery. Also, the plans include a footrest, and a matching table was quite easy to design. This makes a very nice set. It will stand the test of time.

The design came from American Furniture Design. You can check it out at www.americanfurnituredesign.com

Hope this helps,

Cole

Mark,
    there was an article in FWW a few years back with a chairmaker who had made a "fitting chair". Everything about it was adjustable so you could have someone sit in it and make the adjustments till it was comfy then take the measurements and build a chair to suit. Clever idea. There were enough pics of the chair that you could build one yourself.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

i am 6'5" 360 lbs and i love morris chairs!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I have someone in mind I would like to make a chair for and this may be an ongoing thing. This guy is about 6'6", 350lbs, but not super fat to be blunt. Just a massive human being. The type of guy who could lift an engine block out of a vehicle.

I am thinking just a utilitarian chair but very comfortable. A working mans chair.

Would you just scale up a comfortable chair? By perhaps 10%? Seat angle with regards to easy sit and raise?

Just started thinking about this today. Havent gotten very far.

Mark
    I am 6'9" and 330 pounds, so I can tell you what I would like. The seat height can go up some. It only takes a couple of inches. Just that little bit makes a huge difference. Also, if it has arms, make sure they are proportionally higher, too, as well as being extra sturdy. In general, it just takes a little more in every dimension to make it "grander". Too often, when people try to enlarge projects for taller people, especially big taller people, the end project ends up being monsterously huge. The amount needed to make a difference is smaller than most people think.

I can take some measurements later if you want, if you plan this to be a surprise. If not, I would definitely suggest checking with them for what is comfortable.

I guess that the short answer is "Yes, normal funiture slightly scaled up."

Thanks for everyones input. I did remember seeing that fitting chair in FWW, I will try to go back and find it.

I didnt have a surprise in mind but I thought it would be neet for him to just walk into the shop and find it there. I am thinking a chair that would be good for a big man, high miles, arthritis, lots of work. Something easy to sit and raise and yet comfortable.

I can fully understand these criteria are likely ones chair makers search for through their entire career.

You all have given me great places to start.

Mark

Being short, when I made my Morris chairs I adjusted the dimensions.

Seat height is critical so that your feet rest flat on the floor, supporting the weight of your legs. If the height is too high, the chair cuts off circulation in your legs.

Distance from the back to the front of the chair has to be adjusted so that when leaning against the back cushion, your legs don't touch the front of the chair.

Height of the back needs to be measured, and as previously mentioned, the arm height needs to be correct.

Being the same weight and height is no guarantee that the chair will fit two difeerent people.

Think different leg length and you'll realize that the chair needs to be measured for an individual.

regards, Rod.

Note to self: Don't post anything negative about Kris Koenig or Mike Gager!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Note to self: Don't post anything negative about Kris Koenig or Mike Gager!!!

Excellent point Rick, I'll try to remeber that it's Sir with an S.......Regards, Rod.