Thread: DIY Air filter questions

DIY Air filter questions

Short and quick.

1. Why use a squirrel cage fan in the air filters? Why not a large muffin-type fan?

2. Filters: On the inlet, the outlet, or both?

2. I don't think I have the exact technical reason, but to me a squirrel cage sucks the air in through the filters consistantly and smoothly compared to a high velocity fan. And a used squirrel cage fan cost me only 20$. I purchased a Delta three pouch dust filter and covered it's entry with an average grade furnace pleted filter. The exit requires no filter or screen. A small baffle at the exit will direct the air flow in a circular motion for maximum efficiency.

A large muffin fan would be fine and filters on the in and out also fine. Let me know if you find a good source for some heavy duty 10"-12" muffin fans, other than from Grainger.
    David B

this was my solution ! 2 10$ box fans from the blue store and 4 filters. Point one blowing in one drection and the other in the oppsite tape on filters and .....DONE

And you can read more here too

Air Cleaners ??

Attached Images Attached Images

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

I thought about that but don't have the head room.

I have an electrical surplus store nearby that has a large variety of fans that are large and small, new and used. But it's probably a bit of a drive for you.

I like the squirrel cage because it moves a lot of air, got mine free, is two speed, and really draws the dust. With scraps and a two speed switch, I have about $5.00 in mine.

Where?

So where can I search for a cheap squirrel cage fan?

Ray,
    Check with local heating and air conditioning installers. When they remove old heaters they have to haul off the old ones and many have squirrel cage fans in them. Craigslist is another option.
    David B