Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting tools in the Basement...

Getting tools in the Basement...

Hello SMCreek-ers!

I have been holding off on purchasing new tools because I am concerned about getting them into the basement.

The tools I have my sights set on are the SawStop and an 8" jointer. Both of these way over 600 lbs. To make matters worse, I'm about 5'6" and not built like an athlete.

There is also a chance that I will need to move them back out in about 6-12 months. I would not want to move anything down there if I won't be able to get it back out.

All advice will be appreciated.

-Allan

The first questions we need to ask are:
    • What sort of access do you have to your basement? Walkout? Hatchway? Interior stairs? If interior stairs, straight run of stairs or partial run to a landing, a turn and then the rest of the stairs?
    • How far would the machines have to move from your driveway and how level is your lot?
    It's entirely possible to move large machines. This SMC thread shows how and this SMC thread shows the actual move. The machines I was moving are around 1500 pounds.

You do need a place to attach a winch to.

I would say....

Allan,

I have a basement shop. I know that there are poeple here that do not like the basement shop but it is the most economical for me.

I would say go for it, except for one thing, you might have to move them out in 6-12 months. This is certainly not a job that you can do by yourself. So you might not be the most popular with your friends if you are asking them to put the stuff down there and then very quickly asking them to bring it up and then possibly back down somewhere else. My larger tools, table saw, 6" jointer, workbench etc have now made a 5 trips on stairs. One down and one up at my first place. Not so bad there since there were bilko doors. Then a trip down and up at a townhouse I was in. The trip down was done with help of my brothers. The trip up was with the help of movers. Then they also brought them down into my current house.

My brother's are not fond of my hobby since it just means that they have to move things. Luckily they are family and cannot say no. The last thing that I had them help me move was the 17" G0513X2 that my wife bought me for Christmas. They were not happy but when all was said and done that we not hard to get into the basement at all.

With that said, know that this is not something that you can do by yourself. These things are going to be too heavy. And the stuff that is not too heavy is goign to awkward. Then you have to make sure that you have really good friends or family that will be able to help you with this task, or extra money to hire some movers.

Matt
    Matthew Poeller

Having recently moved a planer and jointer out of the basement to bring a Hammer A3-31 downstairs, it can be done.

In my case I winched them up and down the basement stairs.

My back still thanks me.

The General stuff went down the stairs on a handcart with the help of my wife, gravity makes it easy to go downstairs.......Regards, Rod.

If you have an anchor (like a tree or a truck) fairly straight ahead of your basement access you can use a hand wench (also called a come along jack) and a simple wooden sled. Make sure the machine is fastened to the sled or at least have a good sturdy back stop for the machine to rest against.

use a 2x4 across the door way set on the ground to keep the chain or cable attached to the sled from scraping the concrete on the top stair.

you get set up, you give the wench a little slack and you push the sled forward so it starts to tip and point down the stairs. once it is in this position each click of the come a long will allow it to slide another inch down.

If you are using a truck you can back it down after you get the sled in the downward position.

Be careful though. each situation is a little different. I have moved tools, trees, cars and boats this way.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Remove the saw table & motor, then use a hand cart for all three pieces.

Remove the tables & motor on the jointer and carry them separately.

More trips up & down, but not all that hard.

This is the method that has worked well for me in the past. Several smaller pieces will be lighter, and safer to move. It's always good to have a couple extra hands around. Some beer and grilled steaks usually does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    Remove the saw table & motor, then use a hand cart for all three pieces.

Remove the tables & motor on the jointer and carry them separately.

More trips up & down, but not all that hard.

Thanks for the advice.

Here is my layout:
    I have a straight shot from the outside garage door to the door to the house and then the basement stairs!

I thought about building a wooden sled in the past, but then I wondered about getting the sled started. I also don't have a tree, so I thought about hooking a rope up to a trailer hitch on my dad's truck.

Keep the Ideas Coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Froehlich View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

Here is my layout:
    I have a straight shot from the outside garage door to the door to the house and then the basement stairs!

I thought about building a wooden sled in the past, but then I wondered about getting the sled started. I also don't have a tree, so I thought about hooking a rope up to a trailer hitch on my dad's truck.

Keep the Ideas Coming!
    It is very easy to get the sled started. Just have a little slack then slide it forward then a little more slack and slide forward. the sled will start to tip forward then you keep the slack on the chain or cable a little tighter until you ge the entire sled on the stairs then its easy to lower.

don't use rope. even one with a high break rating because it will stretch and you can't predict how much.

Invest in an appliance dolly.
    chris

Allan,

Getting things down the stairs is much easier than bringing them back up! Just last weekend I moved my new Shop Fox W1741 8" jointer down the stairs with the help of my 15 year old son. I used the same technique that I used when I brought my Unisaw down. I made a ramp by placing two 2x4's on the stairs and braced them at the bottom so they could not slide out. The main bed of the jointer weighs in around 300+ pounds and comes shipped in a wooden crate. We backed the trailer up to the door and slid the crate off through the door and onto a flat cart. Wheeled the cart to the top of the stairs and, with both of us on the stairs, tipped the crate and gently guided it down the ramp to the bottom.

I have no plans to bring it up anytime soon! I told my kids the next place I'll be moving too is an old folks home!

I think if you have to bring them back up, hiring a mover is your best bet unless you have four really big friends!

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Houg View Post
    Allan,

Getting things down the stairs is much easier than
    I think if you have to bring them back up, hiring a mover is your best bet unless you have four really big friends!

Todd
    Actually with four really big friends you're probably over the capacity of your stairs with a machine on it.

Regards, Rod.

If it were me, I'd just defer the purchase until I figured out where I was gonna be permanently. Else, I'd set up shop in the garage (if you have one).

14. Buy a house with a walk out basement, and a driveway to the back yard. It will be easier to move the rest of the furniture into the new house than to move the tools into an inaccessible basement.

15. Quote Originally Posted by keith ouellette View Post
    If you have an anchor (like a tree or a truck) fairly straight ahead of your basement access you can use a hand wench (also called a come along jack) and a simple wooden sled. Make sure the machine is fastened to the sled or at least have a good sturdy back stop for the machine to rest against.

use a 2x4 across the door way set on the ground to keep the chain or cable attached to the sled from scraping the concrete on the top stair.

you get set up, you give the wench a little slack and you push the sled forward so it starts to tip and point down the stairs. once it is in this position each click of the come a long will allow it to slide another inch down.

If you are using a truck you can back it down after you get the sled in the downward position.

Be careful though. each situation is a little different. I have moved tools, trees, cars and boats this way.

Keith,

You have some great ideas, but wench???

According to Dictionary.com

Wench - noun
    1. A country lass or working girl.
    2. A girl or young woman
    3. A strumpet.

I'm pretty sure you were referring to a winch.

That does remind me of a time when I was looking to buy a Jeep. As I was flipping thru the cartrader magazine, I came across a photo of a nice looking Jeep with a cute girl in bikini hanging off the rollbar. Looking down at the description, it said, "Wench included"............I immediately called.

Doug