Thread: Sliding Miter Saw Dimensions Needed

Sliding Miter Saw Dimensions Needed

All,

I'm planing on building a tool stand similar to the Ultimate Tool Stand (http://christophermerrill.net/ww/pla...l_Stand_1.html) and am trying to figure out some miter saw dimensions. I've currently just got a 10" Craftsman CMS but am planning on upgrading in the very near future to a 10" or 12" SCMS. I need to figure out both the spacing on the top of the tool stand where the miter saw sits and the size of the opening in the cabinet where the saw is stored, but do not have access to a SCMS to pull some dimensions from so.... If any of you with a SCMS are sitting in your shop and would like to help a guy out, could you pull the overall length and depth dimensions (I'm not concerned about height) of your saw with the miter slide all the way to one side (shortest depth distance)? I'd like to finalize my design as soon as possible so that I can get a cutlist together and purchase some wood. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't base my design off of a different saw. Why don't you buy the saw first?
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

I was thinking along the same lines as Dewey, even if you won't buy the saw for a while, pick out the one you will most likely buy then get the dimensions from that particular saw.

Check depth available also.

I second the suggestion to get the saw first.
    I would also encourage you to carefully plan where you will have the saw in your shop before you purchase it.
    There are wide differences in the depth required for different saws.
    I purchased the Makita, which I believe is a class act in this genre
    After I got the saw, I realized that it would not work well in the space that I allocated for it in my shop, due to the extended space required for the sliding mechanism behind the saw.
    I then went to the Festool Kapex to enable me to move it closer to the wall.
    The Makita is now for sale.

better preplanning, and I would have avoided this mistake.

Good Luck
    John

I have a Makita LS1013FL and was looking into incorporating it into a bench, problem is, IIRC the bench would need to be about 29" deep to accommodate a 10" wide board. If you are looking for a miter to include just into this cart, I would caution against a slider...

I'm assuming that 29" is the depth if you were to have the stand against the wall. I'm really not that limited to leaving it against a wall. One of the reasons I wanted to build this stand was for the mobility of it. I also wouldn't mind the stand sitting out 6-8 inches from the wall either. The thing I'm concerned with is if I'd have to make it deeper in order to accomodate the storage of the saw.

As far as getting the saw first... I'd love to, but then I'd still be stuck where I am now with a bunch of tools and no place to use the miter saw I have, no router table, and no decent assembly table. I prefer not to use sawhorses and a piece of sheet stock or a door for assembly. Plus the whole money issue... $300 gets me a router table, miter saw station, planer station, downdraft table, outfeed table, and assembly table or $500 to $700 gets me a miter saw (which for all intensive purposes I can make these cuts on the table saw for now).

As far as which saw... I should of put that in the first post. There are two that I've been looking at fairly close. Those being the Bosch 4410L and the Dewalt DW717. I just don't think I need a 12" and the whole blade deflection thing makes sense, so I'd rather stick to something a little more accurate. So if you've got these two and could get some measurements, that would be wonderful!

Jeremy,
    You can use a miter saw on your shop floor until you build the station for it. The added benefit is that it will work and at the same time be such a PITA that it will encourage an expedited build on the station... just keeping it real~
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Talking Wooooo Hooooo!!!

So my quarterly sales incentive check was about three times as much as I was expecting SOOOO..... I decided to pull the trigger on a SCMS. Wasn't even the one I planned on buying, but after all the good reviews and playing with it in the store, I went all out and got this one:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Milwaukee 12" slider

Nice saw!!! I got mine yesterday :-)
    The blade was off square with the table and it was a pain to figure out how to fix this since the manual is not clear at all on how to perform this adjustment. After a couple of calls to CS (and no help from them! ) I found the way to do it. Other than that, I'm very happy with my 12" slider.