Thread: My First "Sketchup"

Blog Entries

My First "Sketchup"

After reading several tutorials and a whole lot of trial and error.... It all came together for me and I think I finally got past the learning curve. That being said, here's my first design using sketchup..... I took actual pictures of the wood that I intend to use and incorporated in to the sketch.... So, give me a week or two and check over in the Woodworking Project forum to see if I can get it as close to what's in the picture here....

Great job on the sketch, and design. That should be one fine box, but I think that should be expected. Just one question though. Why do you have breadboard ends on the mitered frame? Not a criticism in any way, I'm just curious.

Brian
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Blog Entries
    Well..... my piece of cocobolo isn't wide enough, nor thick enough to yield two bookmatches.... so, I had to think of something to make the lid wide enough.... the breadboard ends are just decorative....

I was thinking to use Ambrosia maple around the piece of cocobolo.... not sure if I will.... it looks like it'll match pretty good, but I do have enough of the Bird's Eye to go around.... but, If I use it, I won't be able to make the matching valet that I want to make.... so, I'm still on the fence on that part....

Look forward to seeing the finished product.

I've been playing around with sketchup for general layout of my 'study'. Putting in a few bookcase designs, moving them around the room, etc.

Learning curve is steep, but it is a very useful program.

Looks better than my first!

Hey Ed can you send me that file we discussed (spreadsheet)?
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Blog Entries
    Sure thing, Dewey....

Overall, the Sketchup really helped out in the shop. I think, with all the trial & error, I have every measurement memorized.

Here's what I did this afternoon......

Nice work Ed!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

How did you put in the "cocobolo" wood grain coloring? I've wanted to put in different wood species into SU but never really dug into how to do it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

That's a really nice model. You might be able to get a better (or at least different) picture by if you make the edges invisible. You can do that by going to Window => styles=> edit => edges (the first "open" cube), then you can either make the edges invisible, or you can decrease or eliminate the "profile" to make the edges thinner.

I find that by doing that, then adding some shadow, I get a better feel for the piece. In the real world, there are no lines between parts, so it looks more like real.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    How did you put in the "cocobolo" wood grain coloring? I've wanted to put in different wood species into SU but never really dug into how to do it.

When you go to the Paint icon, the second button down, on the right side allows you to creat material. You name the material, then about 2/3 down, you can select from a JPG. I actually took a close up picture of the cocobolo and then cut the picture showing only the grain.... and used that. Both for the Cocobolo & the Birds Eye.

It'll stay in the "In Model" part - next to that little picture of a house. It don't go to the "Wood" material file.