Thread: Jatoba end table

Jatoba end table

This is a jatoba end table with curly maple drawer sides. It's constructed with mortise and tenon and dovetail joinery.

The first three coats of finish are a 1:1:1 ratio of polyurethane, boiled linseed oil, and mineral spirits. Coats 4 and 5 are poly and mineral spirits 1:1. It's an easy finish and came out very, very smooth. The poly is an oil-based semi-gloss.

Feel free to ask any questions or criticize anything you don't like. This table will be auctioned off tonight at a fundraiser called Denim and Diamonds. Thanks for looking.

2. awesome table! how did you shape the legs like that?

Very nice job !!

I like the design quite a bit !! THe curves make the project.

one thing I don't like is the dovetails spaced so evenly. with all that room you should have done some creative spacing.

OVerall, tho, it's a great piece
    MARK

Really nice work, Matt!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

really nice!!

ditto on the leg shape question, and dont say a bandsaw.. lol

also, how did you soften the inside drawer edges?

how did you attach the top to the aprons?

Very nice work Matt. I especially like that top. The legs really add to the look of the piece. On top of that I'm a sucker for Jatoba, one of my favorite woods to work with.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

That is a great looking table. As you may suspect, I really like the jatoba, Matt. I think it is interesting how the top changes color depending on the angle, or is that an optical illusion?

BTW, I finally figured out what I am going to do with all that jatoba you sent me. I'm adding a master suite to my second floor, and am going to be making a 4' vanity with it.

Brian
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Blog Entries
    looks great.
    Love the curvs.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Nice looking table. I think the curved legs add a lot to the design. Good luck with the auction.

Really great looking table! I am almost finished with a project using Jatoba and it was hell to shape or touch up - all my blades kept dulling and it was very difficult to plane. But it does look good!

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Let's see if I can answer some questions...

I roughly shaped the legs on my bandsaw. To lay out the design, I created a template. After cutting almost to the line on the bandsaw, I got a great workout with my Stanley no. 80 to clean them up. Next, I used my no. 49 rasp to really soften the edges.

I softened the drawer edges with a Bosch Colt router and a roundover bit. I do that on all my drawers unless of course it doesn't make sense on a design.

The top is attached via pocket holes with the screws left loose enough to allow wood movement but tight enough for the top to stay put when carrying the table. The top should be very stable, however. It's quartersawn in a way. I took a wide board and ripped 10 strips just over 3/4" wide. Then I laid the strips on edge in sequential order for the glue up. Here's a couple of pics:

Hopefully this pic is pretty self-explanatory.

After ripping I numbered the pieces just to be safe.

The color changing is not an optical illusion. It has a lot of chatoyance. The aprons do as well, but you really can't tell from my poor second picture.

Thanks for that Matt.....I know how I'll be doing my next table top!!!
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Excellent and very nice looking. Those legs look very similar to a design Richard Jones (aka Sgain Dubh who is a furniture builder and teachs WW in England) came up with and has bascially used since. Nice flow and the piece should bring a handsome price from someone wearing denim's with diamonds around their neck.

Sarge..

No one has told me the final amount at the auction, but someone told me they last saw it going for $450 so it at least went for that.