Thread: Delta/Rockwell 46-111

Delta/Rockwell 46-111

Can someone tell me about this lathe. I have the opportunity to buy, haven't checked condition yet. What is a good ball park price? Any concerns with this model. Can I do pens, bowls etc?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Lori K

Lori,
    I bought a 46-111 about 4 years ago for $500. It also came with all the guys tools, three face plates, a stand, a never been used delta expanding chuck and some other things I couldn't identify. I don't know what the price they're asking is, but it is a very well made machine for the day. Given that, I just bought a Nova 1624-44 on sale for $900 at Woodcraft. I bought the Rockwell before I started turning and figured I would try it and see if it was something that interested me. Needless to say, the slippery slope has possessed me and there is no turning back. You can still get parts for the 46-111. I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, PM me.
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

Thanks Matt. I also am not doing any turning yet. I would like to someday, maybe when I get a little better at regular woodworking. I believe he is asking 150 for this lathe. I don't know what or if anything comes with it. He is also selling a Delta scroll saw model 40-601 and a 12" Delta planer. I figured I could probably make a deal if I bought all 3. I don't actually need any of it, but I thought any extra scroll saw for cheap (asking 75) couldn't hurt. I am not sure which Delta planer, but could probably knock price down from 125. I already have a Dewalt 735 and as I said I don't do turning and so know nothing about lathes.
    I wouldn't even know any specific questions to ask.
    Lori K

Lori;
    150 is a very good price for that lathe. It won't do large bowls but is bigger (and better) than a mini lathe if you have plenty of space.

I bought that lathe a few months ago. I'm still trying to re build it. The parts , if availible, seem a bit pricey. I had to replace the bearings, the cost was pushing the $100.00 mark but I was able to get them from a friend(auto parts) for less than $30.00.Mine didn't come with a bango but I found one on the bay that would work with a little fiddling. mine had no motor, no stand and no chucks. But it also had no rust and I only had to drive 35 miles and I paid $25.00. I still need to find a motor and chucks so my guess I'll have about $300- $400 by the time I'm finished. But at the end it shoud be as good as new. It needs lots of work but its getting there. I have not had it running yet but it seems to be a nice lathe.Hope this adds some insight for you.
    Good luck.

Doug

Thanks everyone for info and tips. The stuff is still for sale and I really haven't made up my mind yet. I really don't have the room for a mid to large lathe, but I would like to get one some day.
    Lori K

Here is a link to my 46-111 http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=104100

I just started turning in December and am loving every minute of it. I believe for the money it is a good first lathe. I do want a bigger 1 already though. Buy as much lathe as you can afford the first time.

Mike
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.