Thread: Possible SawStop Upgrade

Possible SawStop Upgrade

My wife and I were at the home show in Pittsburgh this weekend and as we were walking around I saw a Sawstop on display. My wife said that she has never seen me move that fast. This is the first time that I have seen a Sawstop in person and it is very impressive. Last winter my wife let me buy a 5hp Steel City Table Saw. While drooling all over the saw my wife said that she would not mind me upgrading to the Sawstop. My question is how much do you think I could get for my Steel City Saw and if I am going to spend all the money on a Sawstop should I go for the 5 hp. I still need to save the money to make up the difference between the saw but now I have a goal.

I can't comment to your Steel City Saw, but as you can see from many other threads, the Saw Stop is great saw. If you can swing it....you will not be dissapointed.

Same Delema

Richard I am in exactly the same situation as you. A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to purchase a used one and I slept on it and sure enough it was gone. Check over this thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=102756
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 03-02-2009 at 8:54 AM.

To get a better answer, you need to provide a little more information.

Is this a job, or a hobby?
    What kind of lumber do you work with (or projects)?
    What do you have for power?
    How much time on your other saw?

Since I don't live where you live, and don't know the local economy, I would be ill advised to make a guess as to what your other saw is worth. But as to power, are you cutting thick teak all day (for a living), or are you a weekend warrior, that cuts 10/4 on an irregular basis? You need to be honest with yourself and your wife, since she is telling you, you should do it.

At $4K the 2hp SS upgrade $ gets lost in the numbers and you cannot buy it latter. Up to you if you can swing it money and power wise. I would think you could if you have the 5hp SC.

Start the SC at a grand cash and carry on CL and see what happens.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Richard, it sounds like this is a home shop operation. If it is, you will never obtain any benefit from a 5HP motor.

Most cabinet saws are 3 HP, which is larger than required.

I've run my 650 with a feeder and haven't hit full load on it.

P.S. Hopefully you'll never have to use the safety feature in the saw, however it is a fantastic secondary safety device.

Regards, Rod.

Thanks for all you feedback. I would like to find a used SS on craigslist but I know they are few and far between. Either way I need to start saving my pennies.