Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out this wild wood!

Lewistown, Montana on the banks of Big Spring Creek.

Check out this wild wood!

Hey Gang,

Who can help ID this wood? It's a conifer for sure - with the dark staining from a pine beetle presumably. It came off a mixed pile from a tree service. Therefore it's not necessarily an indigenous central Montana tree like Douglas Fir or Ponderosa Pine. It could be an in-town, nursery grown tree.

Anyway, I about flipped when I uncovered this treasure. It turned like a dream and the colors and grain defy description. I tried to capture this on the photos but it's way better in the hand. 7.25x2.75 MWOP @ buff

This is the first piece reversed with my new vacuum system!! Thanks due to Steve Schlump and Tom Steyer. What a pleasure! Comments welcomed and appreciated.

Randy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Randy Hoch; 03-01-2009 at 8:53 PM. Reason: didn't get the photos attached

im not really sure what wood but it sure is intense.

That's beautiful! You can't beat what Mother Nature produces.

Dave

Not sure what the wood is, but the bowl is beautiful. Nice job

that is really cool. dont know what it is but i like it
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Randy great looking bowl and some beautiful wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Wow - beautiful bowl Randy! Amazing grain and colors! No idea of what it is - just hope you were able to get a barn full of the stuff!

So, what do you think of using a vac system for reverse turning? Pretty slick huh?

Nice work! Hope to see some more turnings out of this wood real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Watermelon-wood

Thats some of the strangest but cool looking woods Ive ever seen, great job with it!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Hey Randy, nice bowl.
    Is the wood sappy or resinous?
    Looks almost like pine that has oxidized.
    One Nation under God

Lewistown, Montana on the banks of Big Spring Creek.
    Quote Originally Posted by lynn smith View Post
    Hey Randy, nice bowl.
    Is the wood sappy or resinous?
    Looks almost like pine that has oxidized.
    Lynn,

I plead ignorance - not really knowing the difference. I'm going to guess resinous because of no stickiness. The smell was wonderful. I just thought it was "blue pine" in the log because of the radial staining from the from the bark towards the pith. The staining was always slate colored, even freshly turned and unfinished. The photo probably doesn't do the orange color justice. It really is bright. It reminds me of some Cook Island pine turnings I saw in Lahaina a few days ago while on vacation in Maui.

Regards,

Randy

Almost looks like spalted cook pine.

That is some great blue mold!

Randy, What you have there is most likely White pine, it could be red pine but the grain and the way the knots are leads me to White pine. I turn it all the time and it does have the most wonderful smell to it! The pines will get the blue mold in it quite quickly if it lays on the ground to long or has a lot of sap in it when it was cut down. If I saw white pine logs into lumber in the summer that were fresh cut, I will leave them all separate in the sun and air to let the outside layer of moisture dry. Then I will brush off any sawdust that is stuck on to make sure there are no extra wet areas to breed the mold. Most people don't like it in the lumber but for turning it is perfect! Some times I get some that has a vibrant pink in with the blue mold and that is really nice!

Great bowl and it really shows off the colors well!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

very nice, was it green when you turned it or dry???

Smile

I would have to say it is just very pretty wood. Very nice bowl and use of the wood.
    Jack