Thread: Old Tool Find

1. Old Tool Find

LOML saw an ad for a murphy bed, ideal for the pending visit by our grandchildren and their parents. When we went to look for it, I found these. The deal was negotiated, and included my new Craftsman (King-Seely) 6" Jointer and Craftsman (King-Seely) belt sander for $50. Both look about the same age, 1950's to 1960's era.

The pictures show the rather sorry condition of the cabinet they were on ... this stuff is HEAVY, and being moved around a few times wasn't kind to the old stand. The knives on the jointer look new, with not a nick on them. The Jointer is missing the guard, and it is no longer available according to the Sears website, so I'll have to think of something for it. Both seem to work fine when on the stand and powered up; very little vibration when either one is running. The cabinet is full of walnut jointer shavings.

Model number of the jointer is 103.23900 and the belt sander is 113.22521. Restoration to come!
    Attached Images Attached Images

When was a very small guy my Dad had procured a huge rip saw/table saw ... this thing was so old the legs were 8x8's and it was powered by a very large 3-ph motor and the saw and a 8" joiner located to the right side and an inter part of the saw ... anyway the saw and the joiner both had their own guards made of large pc's of oak long before he bought the saw! They each used a spring on the guard attached to the saw and then the guard. These springs were very old and looked like screen door springs. A bolt was attached at the pivoit point by passing thru the guard and then into the cast iron of the decks. The saw and joiner were driven by a 4" belt from the motor! This thing was built like a tank!
    Last edited by Luther Oswalt; 03-02-2009 at 9:15 AM.

Nice find

Really nice finds there. If you go to www.OWWM.org and look in the forum section called bring out your dead they may have a guard for you. I have a stationary sander like yours and it works just fine, even as old as it is.

While you're a OWWM, look up the prefix numbers for Craftsman. I believe that the 113 number is an Emerson number. That doesn't make it a bad thing, just not K/S. Also look at the Craftsman logo. They can also give you dating info for the particular machine.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

When I bought my first house in 1994, the old lady had one of those jointers in the basement with no idea what to do with it. So after much haggling she gave it to me for $100. I still have it and except for a new belt and motor, it works well. I'd still like an "8 one but beggers can't be choosers.
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

My FINE old 1953 Craftsman/King Seely VS drill press is 103.24820. The metal S/N tag proudly states, "Made For Craftsman by King Seely". I bought it used for $100 in 1974. Quite a bit of $$ back then! But I wouldn't take $500 for it now!

So, your joiner probably is K/S.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    While you're a OWWM, look up the prefix numbers for Craftsman. I believe that the 113 number is an Emerson number. That doesn't make it a bad thing, just not K/S. Also look at the Craftsman logo. They can also give you dating info for the particular machine.
    Bill
    Did that already (I love OWWM). The jointer actually has "Made for Craftsman by King-Seely" on the label, and the OWWM did have some info on it (but not a manual).

8. Quote Originally Posted by Luther Oswalt View Post
    When was a very small guy my Dad had procured a huge rip saw/table saw ... this thing was so old the legs were 8x8's and it was powered by a very large 3-ph motor and the saw and a 8" joiner located to the right side and an inter part of the saw ... anyway the saw and the joiner both had their own guards made of large pc's of oak long before he bought the saw! They each used a spring on the guard attached to the saw and then the guard. These springs were very old and looked like screen door springs. A bolt was attached at the pivoit point by passing thru the guard and then into the cast iron of the decks. The saw and joiner were driven by a 4" belt from the motor! This thing was built like a tank!
    There is a mounting hole for the pivot point, and making a guard out of wood makes sense (kinder to the knives, after all)! Thanks for the tips.

I used to have one of them and in fact lost a finger to it! Someone took the back guard off at the jobsite and I didn't notice. I used to hook a finger over the fence to hold the board vertical, and when I got to the part where the back guard was supposed to be "Bddddttt!" You don't want to see a finger when a jointer gets it.

I see yours has the back guard, the front one should be easy to make. BUT>>>>> DO IT!

That being said that is a very nice little machine, and was great on the jobsite. My ex-wife sold all of my tools, and I miss that little bugger. The jointer, not the ex.

Great find!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I used to have one of them and in fact lost a finger to it! Someone took the back guard off at the jobsite and I didn't notice. I used to hook a finger over the fence to hold the board vertical, and when I got to the part where the back guard was supposed to be "Bddddttt!" You don't want to see a finger when a jointer gets it.

I see yours has the back guard, the front one should be easy to make. BUT>>>>> DO IT!

That being said that is a very nice little machine, and was great on the jobsite. My ex-wife sold all of my tools, and I miss that little bugger. The jointer, not the ex.

Great find!
    My brother has a short middle finger from our dad's jointer. We told him it was karma because he was using that finger inappropriately too often. But you guessed it, it was a jointer without a guard. He actually inherited the finger eating jointer from my dad, and it STILL doesn't have a guard ... but he now uses a Grizzly that looks like an aircraft carrier, and it has the guard. So yeah, I think I will make a guard for it! And I'll double check that guard on the back too (never even thought of that!)

Blade Guard for Craftsman Jointer 103.23900

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Hagan View Post
    The Jointer is missing the guard, and it is no longer available according to the Sears website, so I'll have to think of something for it.
    Model number of the jointer is 103.23900 and the belt sander is 113.22521. Restoration to come!
    The 103.23900 Craftsman jointer that my wife found for me at an estate auction was also missing the blade guard. I fashioned one out of stainless plate and came up with a pivot and spring mechanism that works great. Here is a shot of the machine with guard.

Also, I bought knives for the jointer from Sears PartsDirect - Part # 2293. But Sears.com also has 6 1/8" knives that are much cheaper - Part # 22995. Anyone know if these will fit Jointer 103.23900?

Thanks!!
    DSC_0050.jpgDSC_0052.jpgDSC_0051.jpg